Nikon 70mm f/2.5G AF-S......Say What!?

Was just tossing around some thoughts on what I could do (with my current lenses) on a DX body to mimic the field of view of my D800 with the 105mm f/2.5 and came up with the crazy idea to try my Kenko Pro 300 1.4x teleconverter coupled with the Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8G lens to make a 70mm f/2.5. This combined with the 1.5x crop factor of my D7100 is the equivalent of 105mm on FX. Went out and took a quick handful of shots of one of my Huskies and it doesn't seem too bad. Auto focus performance in low light causes the lens to hunt back and forth a bit before locking on, but outside in good light appears to function normally. Additionally, due to the closer focus distance of the 50 1.8G I'm actually able to get closer to the subject than I could with the 105. The minimum focus distance of the 50 1.8G is just shy of 1.75 ft which is half the distance of the 105 at about 3.5 ft.

Here's a couple of the shots from the handful I took. Most of the shots came out surprisingly sharp and the very few slightly soft ones I got I'm sure were just me. The first shot is wide open at f/2.5 and the second is at f/3.5

P8WcXQf-_HCmvHBCR9z6GCqQ=w1406-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EQRclQX0ki9jmXy6EBSM0qKA=w1406-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg

Thank you for this idea. I love a 70mm field of view (my 70-200 lenses are usually resting at the 70mm end) and this would be a cost effective way to achieve just that for my Df.

It's funny you tried this as I did it back in 2008, but with a 50mm f/1.8D lens with a Kenko 1.4 PRO300 DG teleconverter with a Nikon D50.
I thought that it work really well back then and used it until I got a 85mm f/1.4 lens.
This is a link to the post...

This was the photo I posted using that combo...

DSC_2057nc_2.jpg

It's funny you tried this as I did it back in 2008, but with a 50mm f/1.8D lens with a Kenko 1.4 PRO300 DG teleconverter with a Nikon D50.
I thought that it work really well back then and used it until I got a 85mm f/1.4 lens.
This is a link to the post...

This was the photo I posted using that combo...

View attachment 1683314

This is a great photo. Despite adding more glass in to the mix, the photo still appears to have good depth to it as apposed to the more "flat" nature of many zooms with significantly more glass.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom