Nikon 75-150 f/3.5

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TedP, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I just purchased this lens. Does anyone have any experience with it or have any pics. It has the perfect focal length for some shooting I expect to do,
    The price was right. Besides my LBA needed to be satisfied
    Thanks
    TedP

2. I picked one up on the cheap a little while ago. It is a nice, compact lens. I only owned it briefly as I ended up passing it on to a friend who coveted one. Maybe he'll post a few images. Here are a couple of handheld test shots from around the yard.

f/8 sweet spot:
    [​IMG]

wide open at f/3.5:
    [​IMG]

The mf 50-135 is supposed to be a similar gem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  3. Tosh
    Thanks for the pics. I think I'm going to like this lens,
    TedP

4. If you do, as I expect you will, post some shots for us.:smile:

5. I like the lens a lot but I almost never use it. It's got some of the coolest boke of any Nikon short tele, but the zoom feature and the creep and the rotating front element and plasticky aperture ring prevented the lens from really growing on me.

It is however a very good lens that performs very well in its intended range. It's probably a bit overrated by some, but most good lenses are.

I'd post photos but everyone's seen them already.

6. Tedd

I have one in the same range, the Vivitar 70-150/ 3.8 CF very well built with excellent IQ and bokeh. Here is a picture shot with that lens

DSC_0041_W.

7. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    It is my most used zoom lens and it often is part of my kit when travelling as it nicely covers the short telephoto range. I like the compact size and fast aperture (only 1/2 stop slower than the big f2.8 zooms). The 52mm filter size is compatible with most of my other lenses so it fits well with my lens kit. It also focuses fairly close, down to 1m at all focal lengths. Adding a closeup filter turns it into a good macro zoom.

The lens is acceptably sharp wide open through the zoom range, better at the short end, the long end is slightly less sharp and suffers a little from CA. Sharpness is excellent from f5.6-f11. The rendition is usually quite smooth and pleasing although it is variable depending on camera-subject-background distances, focal length and aperture used. Distortion is well controlled, ranging from mild barrel distortion at the short end to mild pincushion at the long end. I have successfully shot sunsets with this lens, with the sun in the picture, ghost images are not a problem. Full-strength sun glancing off the front element will lower contrast so use a shade.

The 75-150 is notorious for it's loose zoom action. Friction is provided by a thin ring of felt padding inside the zoom ring which presses against the barrel. This padding gets worn with use so the zoom ring becomes very loose. My lens however seems to be holding up well. When I bought it the action was loose but it firmed up. I believe it is partly due to the humidity which caused the felt padding to swell up slightly. Wiping the barrel with a slightly damp cloth and then zooming over it may be a quick fix. Many others stick a strip of tape to the barrel to increase zoom friction, it seems to work for them.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Here are a few that I took with the 75-150 lens last fall. I like the lens.

Hope these help you,

Gaye

[​IMG]

105571368-L.

106608143-L.

140962353-L.

9. cj3209

cj3209

Nov 8, 2006
    Sunny SoCal
    Gaye: That last one looks like it was done on film? Super nice shot!

CJ
    :)