Nikon 7's Aperture Observation

I noticed the following behavior on the Z7: Using a Z 24-70mm f/4 lens I set the aperture to be f/22. Using the A mode, I shot with the High release mode. The depth I saw in the EVF was not f/22 but much larger, say, f/5.6. But when I shot with the High+ release mode, the EVF depth was f/22. I confirmed this by looking the lens from front. This means I was seeing the real depth of field during my H+ shoot but not during the H mode... (I'm sure the Z6 is the same.)

Maybe I was not clear.... I am talking about DOF, not exposure.

Unlike DSLRs, the lens does not have to be wide-open in a mirrorless (theoretically speaking). Even so, I know that even in a mirrorless camera, the lens aperture does not close down to the set f-number, but only to f/5.6 or so, while you are looking though the EVF, probably to ensure enough amount of light for AF and metering. So, we have to use Preview (DOF button) to see the true depth. However, if you set your mode to H+ (extended) release mode, the Z camera keeps the lens aperture closed down all the way to the set f-number, say, f/22, so that you see the real DOF as you shoot at H+ (not at H, L or slower).

One of those WYSIWYG fallacies of mirrorless....the lens can't stop down to show you the real image (real DOF) because the focus engine will fail.

I'll give the designers credit, they try.
But the viewfinder is not as true to the image as the marketing types would like you to believe.

My original post is not a question - just my observation. Nothing is broken - This is the way Nikon designed their system.
I know that EVEN in a mirrorless, because of their light measuring requirement, a CPU lens (Z or FTZ) does not stop down to show you the real DOF. However, the H+ (extended) mode is an exception -- while you are firing, EVF shows you the true depth (say, f/22). If you peek from the front side of the lens, you can see the aperture staying at f/22. Again, this is Nikon's design decision. Just tested with the Z6 (at Home Depot)... the same, at H+, it closes down to f/22, but not at H mode.

Last edited:
Just for completeness' sake, I confirmed the same behavior (using the Z7) for the SILENT shutter as well as the Electronic-Front Curtain shutter --- The EVF shows the real DOF (ala f/22) during the H+ burst (not during the lower fps).

Sure. Thanks.
Just as in the past with those old technologies (DSLR :D ), as Darrell (and others) have said: "If you need full depth of field preview, you will have to assign the Preview function to an assignable button, such as Fn1 or Fn2. Then you can press the assigned button to stop down the lens fully and see the actual depth of field, at whatever aperture."

Darrel is correct in his explanation of Preview function. The only thing I tried to say in my post is that I did not know Z's behavior is different during the H+ burst... At least during the H+ firing, the user of the Z can truly enjoy the real EVF advantage including a true DOF. This does not happen, say, in D850. If it did, the finder would have been very dark!
Incidentally, when I first touched my Z7, I was surprised to find that this Preview (DOF) function was not a standard button/function in the Z camera... From the film days I remember the DOF button has been a pretty basic and fundamental feature in any SLR cameras.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom