Nikon 80-200 AF 2.8 - (Push-Pull Version - No Tripod Collar)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Like the rookie that I am I recently purchased a lens that is apparently a pre-1997 model. It is a push-pull version and therefore does not have a tripod collar. I will be using this with my D2H primarily on day hikes and for candids of family and friends. Should I be concerned with the lack of a tripod collar...and if so...can an OEM brand collar be added. The lens is in excellent shape and the glass is flawless. Your thoughts and counsel will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  2. I don't know yopur shooting style, but I use a tripod 90% of the time. When I had that particular lens I used a Kirk long lens bracket. I forget the model, but I see them on the auction site from time to time. Its a great lens!

3. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Gordon, for the type of shooting you describe, it shouldn't be a big deal...that is, unless you use your tripod alot...

I took the foot off my 70-200 the day I got it and think it's been back on less than 5 times in two years.

4. It must be an AF-S model as I think those were the only 80-200's that the collar was removable (unless it was on the push-pull version).

I know because I bought an AF-S last year and it didn't come with the collar. The good news is Nikon's parts department had one in stock for $80

5. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    If this is a push-pull type version of the lens then I do not believe that a collar can be added. Is that what you mean by pre-1997? If it is a two-touch version (one ring for zoom and another ring for focus), then this is a model made to accept a tripod collar. Either Really Right Stuff or Kirk Photo can supply replacement collars for this lens. I would assume you could also buy the original collar from Nikon as well.

6. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

It must be the push-pull model, as the AF-S model was introduced in 1998. If this is the case, you'd need to find a third-party support system that isn't a true tripod "collar". While using the lens, try to support it as much as possible. That being said, I carry my D70 w/ 80-200 attached (I used both the push-pull and the AF-S version) without supporting the lens, but only while the lens is pointed down. In this case, the stress is along the lens axis, rather than perpendicular to it. While in shooting position, I'd highly recommend supporting the camera & lens combo by the lens with your left hand. If you decide to use a tripod, apply upward pressure on the lens if you're mounting using the camera mount. I think that overall, the lens mounts are much stronger than people realize, but proper support is always a good thing (both for preventing damage and for getting good results).

7. Thank you for your helpful comments.

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gordon-

i had the one ring 80-200mm f/2.8 for several years, and never really noticed the lack of a tripod mount. i've been able to take long exposures by mounting the camera on the tripod instead of the lens. it's probably not as stable or balanced as mounting the lens on the tripod, but i don't have any complaints with the images i took.

if your lens is the one ring version, look for the kirk EZ360 on ebay. it's a bit on the rare side, but i've seen a few show up back when i was looking for one (never got one though). also, check out this page to see which version of the 80-200mm you have.

ricky