1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 80-200 or sigma 70-200??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Alias, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Alias

Alias

Aug 23, 2008
    Brighton UK
    so which one is sharper? faster? all round better, my equipment gets a serious beating so I would think the Nikon would be better suited to me but what do others think?

2. jberenyi

jberenyi

Apr 6, 2008
    Roy, Utah
    Sigma of course

3. To some extent it depends on what version of the Nikkor and Sigma you are talking about, as there are several incarnations of both!

I've had good luck and bad luck with Sigma 70-200 variations. My original EX was superb, really sharp. Later I got a MKI macro version, and that was a shocker. Unusable wide open. That went back to Jessops quick smart! More recently I acquired a MKII macro version and its a stunner. 200mm wide open is WAY better than I hope compared to the MKI and its really good.

I've used the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S (excellent) and the AF-d (older version) and both were very good. I though the AF-S was a bit better wide open.

Much depends on price too! The Nikkor can be found quite cheaply, if you get luck, and even an older AF version should be very good.

4. fishnfst

fishnfst

Dec 11, 2007
    ca
    Can't say about the sigma... I have an older nikon 80-200 af-s... I rarely shoot it wide open but when conditions dictate the need it has been sharp all the way across the board..

2623473993_415a46a847_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. I'll second the 80-200 AF-S.

Mike

6. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    mmmmmm, a 2002. i had a '76 green one for my first car. loved that beast. might have to get me another one ...

7. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Go for the sigma!

8. InFocusFoto

InFocusFoto

Aug 1, 2008
    Idaho
    I had the latest and greatest sigma 70-200 2.8, never did like it, sent it back.

The Nikon optics are sooo much better, I have used a 80-200 push/pull, and an afs, they are both superior to the sigma IMO, I now have the nikon 70-200 2.8, if you can swing it, it is worth every penny and then some!

9. Photo Matt

Photo Matt

Nov 5, 2007
    USA
    I took these today with my 80-200 AF-S. I was sitting on the top row of a large set of bleachers, probably about 20ft. up, and I was about 20 yards away from this kid.

Hand held, full zoom and wide open; 200mm at f/2.8, and they're 50% crops.

Just a couple of snapshots and the sharpness is pretty good. In ideal conditions, it only gets better.

2812888884_93a0aa99e7_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 245012

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Iv got the classic 80-200 2.8 ED AIS version. It's just amazing. So sharp and contrasty. I use it wide open 50% of the time the other between F8-11 for the ultimate IQ. The build quality is amazing. So is the tripod mount:eek: . If there is down side:tongue: it is that at 5 pounds and 86mm front element, its huge . However, on the D3/F4s the lens balences very nicely. IMO it dosnt replace the Nikkor 200 F2 ED-IFAIS , 180 2.8 AIS, 135 2 AIS , 105 1.8 AIS, 85 1.4 AIS which all are unique and wonderfull in there own way. But when I just want one lens, one camera this is my go to combo. Years ago I had the first generation Nikkor 80-200 ED AF . It was good but the Nikkor 80-200 ED AIS is where my heart is. Try www.kevincameras.com for the classic version.

Gregory

11. The Nikon AF-S is a superb lens--sharp and easy to use and solid. My older (I'm thinking late 90's??) version of the Sigma was softer and the build left a lot to be desired.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.