Nikon 800mm f/5.6 VR AF-S Announced

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nikon today announced the development of an 800mm f/5.6 AF-S VR super telephoto lens. The press release says a sample will be on on display in July at the Nikon service depot at the Open Championship golf tournament in Lancashire, England, and again in September at Photokina in Germany.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0712_nikkor_01.htm

pic_120712_1.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well a 600 f4, today, is US $10,300 so this should be around $12,500 (WAG). So who is going to be putting their name in on the B&H waiting list when it opens?

Unless Nikon has changed it's ways...once this lens is actually "available" to the public...it will be next to impossible to find for a LONG TIME. For those who were wanting the 600VR...and waited over a year, some much longer than that...I bet this lens will be an even longer wait.

I hope I am wrong, but Nikon has a history of not having enough product to meet the demand in a timely fashion. Now...having said that, I would like to get my hands on way to play with...but could for sure not afford it!

Unless Nikon has changed it's ways...once this lens is actually "available" to the public...it will be next to impossible to find for a LONG TIME. For those who were wanting the 600VR...and waited over a year, some much longer than that...I bet this lens will be an even longer wait.

I hope I am wrong, but Nikon has a history of not having enough product to meet the demand in a timely fashion. Now...having said that, I would like to get my hands on way to play with...but could for sure not afford it!

You know the first batch will go to NPS members shooting the Olympics! I'm pretty sure this lens will be amazing. Though I'm surprised Nikon hasn't bothered updating the 80-400 VR or the 300 f/4 AFS.

You know the first batch will go to NPS members shooting the Olympics! I'm pretty sure this lens will be amazing. Though I'm surprised Nikon hasn't bothered updating the 80-400 VR or the 300 f/4 AFS.

both the 300 f/4 and the 80-400 are gateway lenses to the big fast aperture superteles. I'm willing to bet that everyone who owns a super tele started out with one of those. Why nikon seem content to give their 80-400 business to sigma, considering most of the bodies in their lineup cannot autofocus it is beyond me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom