1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 85/1.4D/G vs. Sigma 85/1.4 ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by toroloco, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Has anybody yet compared the Nikon 85/1.4D/G (both or one of them) vs. the Sigma 85/1.4 or found some link?

2. ndn_styl

ndn_styl Guest

Here is one I read some weeks ago over on the FM forums.

85mm review

Hope that helps...

3. Thanks for posting this link!
    Tendency is that the new Nikon is a tad better than the Siggy but there are contradictions to be read.
    The Sigma surely is interesting, especially regarding its price.
    My experience at the door of a shop that allowed me to make some test shots (D700):
    bokeh is impressive, sharpness also, but the focusing speed disappointed me a bit as I awaited snap-on focusing
    like the 70-200VR or the 24-70/2.8.
    Well, it seemed to give approximately equivalent results like my "old" 85/1.4D...felt speed, not measured tho.
    Thus I´m not in a hurry to sell mine and get me one of the new models.

4. I've never used any 'pro' lenses, so I probably won't notice the slow AF speed. Hopefully the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 that I just ordered will be alright for capturing my 2 fast moving kids.

So excited, I should get it Tues.

Matt

5. I tried a Sigma while I was in the camera store yesterday. Felt quite nice and snappy on a D700. Really nice bokeh and all that, too.

6. eye2i

eye2i

Jan 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I know Sigma handes CA better and the AF responds quicker than the Nikon version. Sigma appears to be sharper at the center too.

7. OK, I'm drooling, stop now.

8. Jaipur

Jaipur

Apr 25, 2009
    PL
  9. WillyS

WillyS

May 17, 2009
    Iceland
    I once had the Nikon 85 1.4 it was great.

Today, I would pick the Sigma. But if the Nikon name does it for you, then go ahead!

10. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    +1
    sigma for faster AF and less purple fringing. Tad more center sharpness perhaps?
    Either one is fantastic!

11. Mishu

Mishu

Mar 25, 2010
    Romania
    Sigma is the winner. I tried Nikon 85/1.4 G and the focus is very slow and the IQ wide open is IMHO behind Sigma. Nikon 85/1.4 D is nice... I still have it too, but the AF has inconsistency and is noisy. Definitely Sigma is the best bang for the bucks and this particular lens is the best lens Sigma ever built in F mount.

12. ariel777

ariel777

Mar 14, 2009
    Cambria, CA
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. DrPete

DrPete

Feb 8, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    I was all about the Sigma, and now I'm giving the 85D a second look... Subscribed in hopes of something to knock me off the fence...

14. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Ryan Brenizer posted a review of the Sigma 85/1.4. He's a well known NYC wedding photographer who relies almost solely on a 85/1.4 - and apparently he prefers the Sigma over the Nikon. According to RB, both lenses have splendid bokeh. The Nikon has slightly better optics but the Sigma handles better between those two he prefers the Sigma.

15. ariel777

ariel777

Mar 14, 2009
    Cambria, CA
    Ryan indeed speaks very highly of the Sig. In my post of a few days ago, I linked Dom's post on another 85mm thread in which he internally linked the review. It is interesting to note that a number of serious and acclaimed professionals have either spoken very highly of the Sig or actually stated it to be the lens of preference.

16. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Great info, keep it coming

17. TstarJ

TstarJ

Jul 9, 2008
    Eastern Ontario
    I picked-up the Sigma yesterday. Can't complain about the bokeh or sharpness at 1.4. The autofocus is fast and bang on on the D700.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

18. Smiert Spionam

Smiert Spionam

Mar 11, 2010
    Texas
    They're all great.

I shot the 1.4D for years, and loved it. In good light, it's the fastest focusing; in anything other than good light, it's by far the slowest.

I now use the Sigma. I switched primarily for low light AF (both speed and accuracy) and the built-in motor, but it's also a more versatile lens. It's a bit sharper and it holds onto contrast and saturation better than the 1.4D at wide stops. Bokeh is excellent -- no complaints there. It's also more consistent at longer focal distances, which was not the strong suit of the 1.4D.

I occasionally miss the slightly desaturated, cooler images from the 1.4D, which was really lovely for faces. I wouldn't mind having both, but the Sigma is a more versatile lens, and I'm glad I switched.

19. aesop

aesop

Oct 2, 2008
    CANADA
    Looks like the consensus is that the sigma is a great performer, maybe nikon should lower their price on the G - hehehe

I'd rather have the nikon; but for performance/price it's pretty much a no brainer at this point.

20. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    i got the sigma 85 , i replaced the nikon 85D , i cant fathom to buy the 85G even if you put a gun on my head - its just too expensive .

took this shot this weekend - kinda crippled having a prime lens on a d300s at the sebring race .
    iso 100 , F6.3 shutter 1/60

5546877055_f2c2c288e9_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.