1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 85 f/1.4 and warranty

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by revoke99, Aug 12, 2008.

1. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    If I posted this in the wrong forum please feel free to redirect it..

I just purchased a used 85 f/ 1.4 and after further testing it seem like it miss focuses.. I was wondering I have the receipt but the person didn't have the warranty card. Would Nikon warranty my lens if I say it is a gift with a copy of the original receipt but no warranty card the lens is a year old.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You meant Nikon 85mm f/1.4? LoL. Nikon will not, I repeat, will not warranty a Canon lens. :biggrin::tongue:

3. Is it front or back focusing. Are you using the lens with the D700? If so, doesn't the D700 have AF Fine Tune like the D3/300?

mike

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Canon doesn't make an 85mm f/1.4 lens...

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Canon only makes an 85mm f/1.2???
    Anyway, my experience with Nikon repair under warranty is that you have to have the actual warranty card. It also says so on the card...but maybe that's just if you want the 4 years beyond the first? When I submitted my lenses for repair they took photocopies of warranty card and receipt. I think for camera bodies the receipt serves as proof of purchase, good one year from date of purchase (hence no cards come with bodies?).

OK, so I don't know the answer... haha sorry. I hope they fix it, but if it's just a focusing issue the calibration may not be too expensive.

6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Unfortunately if you bought a "Used" lens it has absolutely no warranty. Nikon does not allow warranties to transfer from original buyer to someone else, even if it was a gift.

You say you do have a copy of the receipt though. Hope it was paid for with Cash and doesn't contain the other parties name. If you send it in with that receipt that does not contain a different name than yours you should be fine. If it has a different name, they'll probably tell you it's not covered. Might be worth a shot though.

EDIT: Another possibility, if it does contain the original owners name, is to have them send it in for you. If they send it off Nikon should fix it.

7. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey

Haahaha...I am so use to posting in canon forums...Is there anyway to change my title to nikon..

8. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey

Yeah I know about this I'll test it when I get home it is more of a focus shift rather then a front and back focus..Well I'll give it a try and see what nikon says I only leave 10 or 15 mins away..

9. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Are you sure this is true?? My 17-35mm was paid for by my father, and it clearly says so on the receipt as he paid with a credit card. The lens, however, was registered in my name, and I have had it serviced under warranty with the receipt with his name on it and a warranty registration card with my name on it.

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Are you sure this is true?? My 17-35mm was paid for by my father, and it clearly says so on the receipt as he paid with a credit card. The lens, however, was registered in my name, and I have had it serviced under warranty with the receipt with his name on it and a warranty registration card with my name on it.

11. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.