1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 85 F1.8, solid solid lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sauk, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Just starting to move over to nikon from canon.

Purchased my first nikon lens, 85 F1.8. The bokeh is excellent from this lens, and it is also very sharp!

So far moving to the D3 has been solid.

2744843207_1c5112892d_o.

2. I think you will find it is an excellent lens in most respects....it is one of my favorites. The only thing to beware of is pinpoint lights....the lens will reflect small green ghosts.

I have found it very, very sharp from 2.5 on up, and quite usable at 1.8. 1.8, 2.2, and 2.5 are my most common shooting modes on my D300.

3. Works on flowers too...

[​IMG]

Detail is good from corner to corner

279649409_ywmgd-X3-1.
    NIKON D70    ---    85mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 200

This is the third 85 1.8 I've owned. Pre AI, AI, and the newest AF-D (9 yrs or so old). Wonderful lens!

4. LXShooter

LXShooter

Feb 28, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Superb lens! I love mine!

FunkyTreeEdited.

5. I have it lying around here to be tested as I bought it second hand a few weeks ago but weather and work are not very kind to me lately. But the sun is shining so maybe today...

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I'm about to put mine for sale. I got a Nikkor AIS 105/1.8 and the 85/1.8D feels so bland in comparison that I'm very likely getting rid of it.

7. First off, welcome to the Cafe Matthew from another Utahn. This is a great place to share knowledge and gather information. Stop by the New Members Introduction forum and introduce yourself. Great to have you here.

The 85/1.8 is a great lens for the money. I've enjoyed mine, but just don't use it enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

welcome to the cafe`, Sauk, nice shot ... this lens always left me wanting the 1.4. fact, i liked the files from my 80-200 much more over this one...;-)

9. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Welcome and congrats on the lens. This is definitely a great choice and and most "solid".

On the Canon side, there are probably lenses that are rivals and with Nikon, there are two big ones in the 85/1.8 v 85/1.4 and 50/1.8 v 50/1.4.

It is unfortunate that some fans of the 85/1.8's celebrity stablemate (which comes complete with a groupie following) couldn't resist their usual and rather tiresome slating of this fine lens.

You can pass your time with these before going out to get some nice shots:
    slrgear.com-85/1.8
    slrgear.com-85/1.4

photozone.de-85/1.8
    photozone.de-85/1.4

Now that the gambit has been put out, prepare for the deluge of shots at f1.4. It always happens lol. As with all faith based decisions, converts are always sought.

Happy shooting my friend!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.