1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 85/f1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by allstar25, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I'm thinking about acquiring this lens after I purchase a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I was wondering if some people can post a few sports images that they have taken with this lens. I want to see how it performs while capturing indoor sports.

Thanks,

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    In theory it'd perform well, however remember that because your body is the D40 and the lens is 'screw' type AF it won't autofocus on your camera.

3. I no. Thanks.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Ok. However I would't have thought that an effective MF lens would be much good for sports. So surely the 85/1.8 isn't a very good choice for that reason.

Or are you planning on getting another body?

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    it performs really really well.

manual focusing for sports causes you to miss some shots though. but all sports photographers had to manual focus in the past, and they did just fine.

6. Yes. I am planning to get a used D2h body.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    With the D2H AF and 8fps system I imagine it'd work great! It'd depend if you really needed that extra stop and a bit over the F2.8 Sigma.

8. outdoors D300 & 85 1.8

_DSC2064webcrop.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.