Showcase Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D

D version
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hopefully some of you guys will have valuable opinions. In terms of bang for your buck which 85m f1.8 lens offers most. I like a lot of the images in this thread, but as am on a budget,would like some input as to what you guys think.

1.8G - best bang for buck. A quality lens. Okay its not as solid as the 1.4G but the results are damn near indistinguishable.

A favourite with the 85mm 1.8G @ 5.6

Deepdale by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

The 1.8G is the better value in my opinion.

Unless you're buying used I would wait until around March/April of the coming year. Nikon for the past two years have offered instant rebates on several of it's lenses (the 85 1.8G being one of them). I picked mine up then for $397 brand new. Although if you can find someone willing to part with theirs you may be able to get one around that or slightly less used. I don't use mine a lot, but it's one of those gems that I'm never going to get rid of.

Hopefully some of you guys will have valuable opinions. In terms of bang for your buck which 85m f1.8 lens offers most. I like a lot of the images in this thread, but as am on a budget,would like some input as to what you guys think.
I would not trade my 85 1.8 D for a brand new 85 1.8 G--no way. Awesome glass.
jt

I find the 85/1.8G to be an excellent lens, and one of the best, if not THE best, Nikon "bargain" acquisition on the market. Prior to its issuance I tried the 1.8D but did not care for it and returned it...no specific shortcoming but I just didn't care for it. I also have the Sigma 85/1.4 and if truth be told (as I have been called a "Sigma fanboy") I prefer the 1.8G mainly due to its rendering. Importantly, "size matters" and I would expect to be using it quite a bit with my "soon-to-be-acquired" D750. If you value and will use the focal length in a prime, all things considered, the 1.8G is, in my opinion, the prime choice.(y)

Ch
What a captivating photo Mark. I have come back to view it time and time again.
Regards.
Mike
Cheers Mike - its shortlisted into the final of the UK Landscape Photographer of the Year - results are out in the next week or two.....

Real Name
Glen Rowe
I would not trade my 85 1.8 D for a brand new 85 1.8 G--no way. Awesome glass.
I tried the 1.8D but did not care for it and returned it...no specific shortcoming but I just didn't care for it.
I have the 1.8D and I have never tried the G, but I keep hearing great things about it. Like jt, I really like the character of my 1.8D, which I think is unique and special; but I can appreciate that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I also love the character of my 50 1.2, a lens that is clearly not to everyone's taste as it shows up frequently on the buy & sell forums. But those who do like it, and learn how to make the most of its special character, are extremely satisfied with it. Perhaps it's the same with the 85 1.8D; just different strokes for different folks. Besides, if you're anything like me, this will not be the last fast 85mm lens you'll ever buy (I have the 1.4 Ai-s on my short list).

I think I will need to visit a couple of shops that sell secondhand camera equipment and try out both.For me best way to come to an informed decision, assuming both are good, sharp copies

I think I will need to visit a couple of shops that sell secondhand camera equipment and try out both.For me best way to come to an informed decision, assuming both are good, sharp copies
Yes, that is a very sensible plan. God luck & enjoy the Quest for an 85mm. jt

Wide Open with the 85 1.8D
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom