Showcase Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G

Okay, let's just get this going. If this lens does come out, who's getting it?

I've been trying to double-up on my equipment as I do mostly weddings, and having a lesser expensive but equally nice back-up to my go to lens, my 85mm f/1.4G, would definitely be nice.

ESPECIALLY at a rumored $500 MSRP! :eek:

I will be getting it as soon it will be available at B&H store in NY, but I will not preorder it. This way I will have time to read all the reviews and if initial lot will have any problems I will wait a little.

ESPECIALLY at a rumored $500 MSRP! :eek:
Are you :eek: ing because it's high or low?

This lens is a total no go for me. It's nearly $200 more than the 85 f/1.4 rok, which in certain situations is nearly as good as the 85 f/1.4G.

All that being said alot of folks have been wanting this one for awhile. Hopefully it's everything they've been wanting. I'm sure it be popular.

im not gonna lie. im curious about it. i sold the 85/1.4g not because of its optical qualities (sharpest fast prime i've ever used), but its MFD is a tad too long for everyday shooting. if i wasnt going to be completely happy, at that price, i might as well let it go. HOWEVER, at 500, i am willing to give the 85/1.8g a shot. loss of 2/3 stop at 1/3 the price?? if the bokeh is similar and has AF response at least as fast as the 50/1.8g, i think it will be good seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy with my old 85 1.8 and don't see the point in a new version except for maybe a silent AF, but that may just be because I have some grit somewhere in my motor. :biggrin:

Think at $500 plenty of people will find a use for this lens. Fast, should have good AF, desirable focal length can't see how for $500 it won't find more then a few homes.

I wonder how the bokeh will be. There are some odd hard edges in the 1.8D's bokeh at times, an improvement to that might make the upgrade to the 1.8G worthwhile.

I wonder how the bokeh will be. There are some odd hard edges in the 1.8D's bokeh at times, an improvement to that might make the upgrade to the 1.8G worthwhile.
IF the upgrade from the 50/1.8d to the 50/1.8g is any indicator of bokeh, then the 85/1.8g should be quite better than the d-version. cant wait to see results from this lens...

Looks to be a nice lens. I've tried the 35 1.8 G and 50 1.8 G and they're both great performers. If these lenses are any indication, this 85 1.8 G should be just as good.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom