Showcase Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G

French-Canadian from Montréal, living in Austria

Salut Jean,
Cool make-up, hair style, mask, and accessories are well defined
by the executed lighting work… and great model and colours!

One observation though: on the second shot, the fallen shoulders
are giving her upper body a somewhat rounded and bulky look that
doesn't fit the young, fresh, and shiny style conveyed by the whole efforts!

Here's a couple of photo's from a recent shoot I did with this awesome lens. The girl in the photograph is extremely interested in photography, and was asking how I was getting these beautifully blurred out backgrounds, so I did a little depth of field demonstration for her and took the first shot at 5.6, and the second wide open at 1.8. I forgot how fantastically sharp this lens is wide open. Both images are straight out of my D7000 and simply converted to JPEG using View NX2 with no alterations.

I bought this lens last year around this time when Nikon offered the rebates, and debated whether or not to get it, as it was still $397 that I really didn't have, but every time I use it I am reminded just how awesome this lens is.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Leonidas KOUGIOUMTZIS
My lens wants a +5 in fine tuning to be perfect. Either than this its an awesome lens

I never thought this would happen, as 50mm was my favorite focal length, but this 85mm 1.8G is glued to my D3 now. I absolutely have fallen in love with it. It only comes off if I have a specific reason to shoot with the wide zoom, 50, or the 80-200.

It's small, it's light weight, fast aperture, SUPER sharp at f1.8, and it nails focus every time. I almost never run into a situation where 85mm is too much focal length outdoors.

If I was shooting DX, I would use my 50 1.4, but for FX, the 85 is the sweet spot in focal length.

Took this with my AF-S 85 1.8 and Kenko 1.4x TC (120mm wide open at 2.5)

I just got this, could pass up the rebate. I thought my wife would just think it's my 35G, but it's much bigger, lol.

I guess I really need to work on my technique, the reticle is bouncing around when I try to aim it. Love the focal length on DX, should be great for kid's performance and sports when they're a little older.

my favourite lens :)

my favourite lens :)

Excellent work. Like the colors you chose.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom