1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 85mm F1.4D for $480?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Desmond, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Someone local is selling one of these lenses for $480. Nobody seems interested in buying it. I would use it on my D7200 but maybe a bit long for most of my needs. A few years ago they were selling for a lot more so maybe all the other options out there have lowered the value considerably.
    Still trying to decide what to do about it :) 

2. only you can decide.

3. I used the 85 1.8D on my D300s and while long for some things, it does have its purposes. I would say go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    The "Cream Machine" is one hell of a portrait lens. I used it a lot on my D200, D300, and Fuji S5 Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dpinkerton

dpinkerton

Jan 3, 2011
    Western PA
    I still use mine on a D850 and sold off the G version years ago because it's not really THAT much better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    I don't think you can go wrong if the amount is equivalent to Canadian dollars. I've used mine on dx cameras. It becomes a sort of 135 equivalent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    When you say you shot the 85 f1.4 all the time for portraits what model was it the new one or the older one?
    Mike

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  9. Most of my portrait shots are taken with the old version of the 85mm f1.4. Love that lens and as uncle Frank used to say, the cream machine.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    It was the old Nikon 85mm f/1.4D AF. What I meant was that all the sample portraits I picked to display in my studio portraits gallery were all shot with the old 85mm. It wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way.

But all my portraits are normally shot with the 85 or one of the 70-200 options.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I bought my copy new about 10 years ago. The first two copies suffered decentering issues, third copy was the charm. I also own and love the 85 1.8G for its sharpness. But the "creamer" has a feel which IMHO is unique. Bokeh is stellar as is the rendering. It's definitely a keeper.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The guy selling it needs to get rid of it within a few weeks - he messaged me with an offer of $450.

13. If it is in good shape that is an unbelievable price for that lens. I'm sure the G version has driven the price of the D version down but for that money you will not be disappointed. I have owned the D version for many years and would never part with mine. Stellar performance always.

• Like Like x 1
  14. integrale

integrale

Feb 22, 2010
    Denmark
    That should be a no-brainer if you any need for the focal length. The 85/1.4D is a legendary lens and my “go-to” lens and the price seems VERY low; are you shure this is legit?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yep, it started at $495 and nobody has shown any interest in it - I think there are just so many options out there now the value is dropping quickly.

16. integrale

integrale

Feb 22, 2010
    Denmark
    At that price-point I would consider offering to buy it from you if you buy it but don’t like it...

• Like Like x 1
  17. That makes it sound like it is worth getting - if others are prepared to pay that price :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.