Nikon Active D-Lighting, Raw

Hello,

Dose this in camera feature work with RAW files.

If so, how should it be set>> High, normal, exHigh ??

any suggestions

thanks

Real Name
Eamonn
If you shoot RAW and use any RAW converter other than Capture NX 2 I would recommend not using Active D lighting, i.e off. Using this setting effects the exposure of the capture even in RAW. Approximates as follows but there is some exposure change in any shooting mode other than M:-

Low - no change to metered exposure, flash lowered by 1/3 stop
Normal - metered exposure lowered by 1/3, flash 2/3 stops
High - metered exposure lowered by 2/3 stops, flash 1 stop
Extra high - metered exposure lowered by up to 1 stop, flash 1 stop
Auto - depends - high contrast situations will pick higher values, low contrast picks lower values

In manual mode it doesn't change the exposure but does move the zero point in the metering bar which might lead you to adjust your settings to an "modified" zero point.

Because of underexposing it generates more digital noise. You'll also have to manually apply corrections in post to shadow, highlights and mid-tones. Some will say not a big deal but these extra activities add up and I dare say will compromise the potential of any photo.

It's also worth mentioning that it can override some picture control settings particularly brightness and contrast but there are probably others. Another issue resides when you have multiple "exposure adjustments" occurring at the one time for instance auto iso, ADL and exposure compensation. One can very quickly lose track of what settings are active at a time.

I feel it's really only suitable shooting jpegs and then only in situations that you feel are going to extend beyond the dynamic range of the camera to preserve details in shadows or highlights.

For RAW shooting you are better off trying to ensure that you don't have blown out channels in the histogram.

Em.

Thank you for all the information

Best regards

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom