1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon AF D 85mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by philstrikesback, Jun 28, 2007.

1. philstrikesback

philstrikesback

Jun 9, 2006
    I am tempted to by this lens. I do not consider the 1.4 as it is too expensive. But I hesitate :
    - is it worth to buy as I already own the 50mm 1.4 for low light
    - on D200 it corresponds to a 127mm - not exactly a conventional portretlens
    - I love the quality and the touch of the 50 1.4 very much, but Bjorn Rorslett says "The 85/1.8 is a nice lens despite its awful cheap-looking plastic exterior" . Is he talking about the same lens?
    - what about sharpness and bokeh?

I am sure some of you can help me through
    thx
    Philip

2. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Sorry to jump in here but how do you feel the 85mm 1.8 compares optically to the 105mm f2 dc Edward? I see you have both.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like the 85 f/1.8 a lot! It's physically small - I can go on a shoot with the 85 and the 35, keeping whichever one is not on the camera in my pocket.

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Actually, Edward, that was a very good representation of the two lenses.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

agree, ..but Nikon does describe the 85 1.8 asa portrait lens...;-))
    @f1.8
    412044115_888e1dbef0_o.
    ok for flowers, too
    @f1.8
    View attachment 103215
    and the beach...;-)
    266117911_94732e63be_o.

6. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :cool:  Thanks Edward that really helped and much appreciated. Nuteshack some cracking pics there..certainly a tricky decision but leaning towards the 105mm

7. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Nute, one of my favorite pictures from you. Great example of the 85 1.8! Love the lighting and skin tones on this one!

8. plim

plim Guest

the 85mm is a good portrait lens: for shoulder/head shots.

i have both the 50mm (but f/1.8) and the 85mm. for indoor portraits, i do find myself switching to the 85 every now and then. the 85mm f/1.8 is better optically than my 50mm f/1.8 (but not sure how it compares to the f/1.4).

if you're not sure about dropping $400 bones on it new, consider getting it used. I got a great deal on mine (and i was lucky in that it was in great shape). it can be had for $300-$350. that makes it a bit easier to swallow.

I'm actually thinking of ditching my 50mm f/1.8 for either the 35mm f/2 or sigma's 30mm f/1.4. since i have my 17-55mm f/2.8, i'm edging towards the sigma for more low-light performance.

9. The 85mm f1.8 is sharp enough for me ... wide open at f1.8.

[​IMG]

It's also a nice general purpose lens ... film shot on my N80.

[​IMG]

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks FJG, she's one of my favorite models, and i have way too many pics of her ..lol
    :eek: 

11. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Those are great examples. I was going to sell my 85/1.8D... you guys just made me put it on hold. Now I need to reconsider my decision.

12. headgear

headgear

Apr 6, 2007
    Minnesota
    It also makes a good indoor sport telephoto. I use alot for my son's basketball games and other indoor ativities where I need some reach and a fast lens.

13. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Hehe...as cute as she is, I don't think thats possible :Wink:

14. Photographers never seem to be happy, do they?
    I bought the 85mm F1.8 and I am amazed at how good it really is at F2 and F2.8.
    The 85mm focal length is quite useful and versatile indoors as well as out.
    I sold my 105 DC and my 180mm F2.8. Both of those are great lenses.
    The 105 has a very clear look to it at F2 and F2.8. I did not consider it a good value like the 85mm F1.8 and when using the defocus it would soften the main focused area which was a surprise to me that I did not expect.
    You want instant bokeh? Get the 180mm and shoot portraits at F2.8.
    My 50mm F1.4 is average to me and nothing special.
    The 35mm F2 is very special.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Stuart ..like Ed, why not get both? lol
    ;-)

16. philstrikesback

philstrikesback

Jun 9, 2006
    thanks to all for your input.
    i think i will go for the 85mm 1.8.
    i saw some examples tend to convinced me, although Ed warned for the tricky bokeh depending on the background.
    What about the construction of the lens, do you follow Bjorn Rorslett on this.
    I never owned a professional type of lens.

17. Rockdog

Rockdog

Jan 28, 2006
    Canmore, Canada
    Hard to deny the value of the 85 1.8. Not too hard to find a deal on the used market either. Mine is pretty darn sharp, even wide open. I'm sure the 1.4 is better, but I'm more than satisfied.

I think I even remember reading somewhere that Steve McCurry favors it (over the 1.4) due to it's size. Sounds reasonable to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.