Nikon AF Micro 60mm f 1: 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tojor, Sep 29, 2005.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    As I have the chance to buy the 60mm lense used but in mint condition, I was wondering if it is a good lense. From the samples I've seen on pbase it looks good.

Also got an offer to buy the NIKON 85mm 1.8 D for a little less than the 60mm.

I would like to hear if anybody had any experience with those to lenses. Which one is the better.

Thanks.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

There is no "better" of them because both are different with respect to the tasks they are targeted for.

AF Micro 60 is an excellent lens for close-ups when short working distance is either needed (indoors or studio work, for example) or not critical*. Its bokeh might be on the harsh side, though.

*(I disagree and consider a long working distance always is important, so won't use this lens myself).

85/1.8 is targeted as a portrait lens and claimed to be excellent for this. The faster 1.4 has better bokeh but is a lot more expensive.

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thank you. Your comments were very helpful.

4. Torben, I have the 60mm micro lens and am very happy with the results. I use it primarily for flower shots. I don't shoot bugs up close so working distance isn't an issue for me. The clarity and sharpness it produces are exceptional, imho.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks, Kevin.