Nikon AF MICRO-NIKKOR 55mm f / 2.8 for portrait and general use

Hello, how are you?
I'm looking forward to buy the Nikon AF MICRO-NIKKOR 55mm f / 2.8 for product photography mainly, but I have read the Ken Rockwell review and he said that it is a super sharp lens and have fast focus, which leads me to imagine it being used also for portraits, street and general use.
To the most experienced and who have owned it, I wanted to know your opinion since I would be selling my dear Nikon Nikkor 50 Mm F / 1.8d AF to not have two lenses with the same focal length.
I thank you in advance for the trouble you took to read my post.
Regards!

One would assume that as he is currently using a Nikkor 50 mm F / 1.8d AF, that his camera has the capability.

I'd go for a newer lens since if something goes wrong with the 55, parts availability would likely be a problem. I wouldn't have such a reservation about buying an even older manual focus micro..

I'd go for a newer lens since if something goes wrong with the 55, parts availability would likely be a problem. I wouldn't have such a reservation about buying an even older manual focus micro..

I agree. I didn't know Nikon ever made a 55 micro AF, but I see that it was only made for three years between Sept. '85 and Nov. '89.

On the other hand, my 55/3.5 AI micro I still consider one of the gems of my collection. Built like a tank, very sharp, and will last a long time.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
The manual focus version of this lens is great. However the AF version is sadly known for oil droplets, from the blades, leaking onto the glass inside the lens. It happened to my lens. I recommend you look for a 60 mm af micro instead

BTW The AF speed was not fast!

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
I have been using the manual focus Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S from the pre-digital era to now. I believe the AF version retains the same optical formula, so the following should be accurate with regard to how it performs optically:
  1. The lens is meant to focus closely, down to a 1:2 magnification without use of tubes.
  2. A PK-13 allows it to reach 1:1.
  3. The distortion is extremely well controlled making it very suitable for flat field work on a copy stand, digitizing slides and negatives, etc.
  4. Ordinary macro and closeup work with this lens on three-dimensional objects is very enjoyable and rewarding, and image quality remains usable even when stopped down to f/22.
  5. Headshots can be a challenge with certain backgrounds and lighting conditions, with neither bokeh nor flare rendered pleasingly, IMO.
Here is an example of a closeup subject (Z6, f/22, 1.6", ISO 100)
Octoberfest 20191019_20104493_19C_5263-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is an example of a strongly backlit portrait (D750, f/2.8, 1/1000", ISO 100)
55mm_Headshot.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom