Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 VS Sigma 28-70 f2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by [email protected], Oct 1, 2008.

1. i have found both these lens for sale locally and think either one would be a great addition to the little gear i have. i have read reviews on both and surprisingly alot of people have said the sigma isnt that sharp even with a f2.8 all the way across the board...alot of reviews have said despite a f3.4-4.5 the nikon is pretty sharp for what it is. im honestly worried about pincushion distortion at 85mm on the nikon/70mm on the sigma. i still plan on using my lil 50mm in most situtions(cause i just love it) but i need something a little longer...who has personal experiences with either one of these lens?

there are alot of people on here that are alot more experienced than me when it comes to this stuff and i just need some input from others.

2. I had the Nikkor 24-85 for a few years and enjoyed it. The only reason I sold it is because I had too much overlap in that range. I do sorta miss it. It was a great lens especially for the price. I think the prices have gone up a bit in the last year with FF bodies now available.

Here are a couple of shots I like from that lens on my former D100:

76231167_7FVKe-L.jpg

85457860_9KKRQ-L.jpg

I can't comment on the Sigma as I've never used it, but I think you'll be pleased with the Nikkor if the range suits your needs.

Good luck.

3. how was it in the 50mm+ range? was there any distortion at 85mm?

4. I've got one I bought new. It seems to be a sharp lens. It does have some distortion at some focal lengths, but I don't use it for architecture or landscapes. I've only used it for people, flowers, etc.

If I can find time in the next few days, I will try to shoot a couple pictures with it on the D300 for you. :smile:

5. that would be awesome john! id really like to see how it is in the 50-85mm range, i too will be using for mostly for shots were id like to be alittle further away from my subject(children and animals)

if anybody else has anymore input at all please share :smile:

6. The one of my folks was at 50mm f/5 1/60.

I too never used it for architecture, but I didn't notice any distortion.

7. I'll be out shooting Thursday, so I hope to get you some example shots by night time. Stay tuned. :smile:

8. OK, I got 4gb's of images with this lens. It'll take me some time to go through them and post a couple though. :smile:

9. OK, here is one photo from yesterday. Shot with the 24-85 and D300 hand held. No post processing other than a resize in NX.

[​IMG]

10. rmi1

rmi1

Jan 14, 2008
    Western Hemisphere
    I use this lens extensivly (at least 200 GB:smile:). The is some distortion at shorter focal lengths - however, I'm not looking to upgrade in the near future.

Taken @ 24mm (Jewel Box in St Louis) w/ polarizer
    2787440531_c7f988229b.jpg

Taken @ 48mm (Ann Arbor, MI)
    2454843495_696268ff1e.jpg

Taken @ 85mm (Greenfield Village, Michigan)
    2244725623_0a1f5cc29f.jpg