Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens on V1?

Hi all.
I have recently bought a V1 purely so I can have a go at a bit of wildlife photography, with long lenses to get the reach.
The longest lens I have at present is the 80-200mm f2.8 Nikon, so I was thinking of getting a VR zoom for this purpose.
Am I correct in thinking that a DX lens e.g. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens will work fine with full focussing etc?
I know the image circle is not as large as a "full frame" lens, but still, it should be big enough for the V1's sensor?
Thanks for great stuff on this forum, I learn a huge amount on here.
Cheers,
Gary

I use a 70-300 VR with an FT1 on my V1. It works well for me & I recon the 55-300VR would work well too.

Thanks for the response Chuck.
I was initially thinking of the 70-300, as I could also use it on my D700, unlike the 55-300.
Although, the other half of me says the 55-300 is a fair bit smaller/lighter, and that's what made me think of DX lenses, as I am after a portable kit to go hiking with.
My D700 is for portraits and landscape stuff, so I doubt I would need the 70-300 for it.
Decisions, decisions !!

I use the 70-300 also on the V1, its an excellent lens and not too heavy. Its worth the extra to me to also use it on the d700 as I do frequently, having said that if you' ve glass that already fits that role, then I'm sure the dx lens would be more than up to it optically on the V1.

One thing to consider is focus speed. I've read that the 70-300VR is very fast on the V1, while the 55-300 is pretty slow. You may want to try before you buy at a camera store, just to make sure the lens is going to meet your needs.

One thing to consider is focus speed. I've read that the 70-300VR is very fast on the V1, while the 55-300 is pretty slow. You may want to try before you buy at a camera store, just to make sure the lens is going to meet your needs.
Thanks for that, Steve.
I must admit focus speed is something I hadn't properly considered.
As this combo is mainly for me to dabble in wildlife, focus speed is important.
I will try and have a compare in my local camera shop.
Thanks very much,
Gary.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom