1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon announcement at 10am tomorrow ( UK time )

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by icecavern, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Just been chatting to my Nikon dealer. Apparently there is going to be an announcement at 10am tomorrow, and they will be taking pre-orders and deposits at 10:01am.

He said they will be announcing the *cough*D700*cough*

This dealer was accurate about the D3 so for me it would seem to be accurate.

2. mb3k

mb3k

Feb 4, 2007
    Calgary
    Waiting patiently...
    Hope everyone's right

3. Well it sounds like it's what everyone is expecting. Price will be the only thing that stops me from ordering one instead of just getting a second D3.

4. Oops just realised I missed out the important info... It's 10am tomorrow ( 1st July )

5. Sweet! I can't wait! :smile:

6. Did he give you any details on specs?

7. Basically a D3 sensor in a D300 body, larger pentaprism but otherwise like a D300. Price in the region of £2k. Puts me in a 'maybe' to buy one. If it's £2k or over then I don't see any reason not to get a second D3 instead. Between £1500-1700 and I will get a D700.

8. Ok thanks, the Fx is not for me as Dx does all I need at the moment.

9. hmmmmmm
    the anticipation is killing all of us

10. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    If there will be Nikon product announcements in UK at 10 AM UK time I think the news are already published a few hours earlier over the Internet. I believe 10 AM in UK is 6 PM in Tokyo.

One rumor originated in Germany claims that the print version of the German publication ProfiFoto has a feature of D700 and SB-900. According to this preview the viewfinder coverage is only 95% which is a bit disappointing.

Anyway I'll check back at lunch time tomorrow if there is any news. Not holding my breath.

11. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    From the link Radiohead gave right above:

5 FPS, with grip 8 FPS, 95% viewfinder, built-in flash, sensor cleaning system, about 2600 euros.

The D300 costs about 1600 euros in Europe at the moment, which makes one believe the US pricing might be between $2500 and $3000.

The only gripe I have about this Digital F100 is the viewfinder.... its coverage is one percent smaller than the F100 (96%). If I cannot come up with anything bigger, I think this will do for a while. Let's hope there are not many dead-battery-syndrome, BGLOD, banding, etc problems.

12. Well at £2000 I don't see a reason to get a D700 over a D3, especially if you consider getting the battery grip. I guess by Christmas they will be down to about £1800 which is probably more like it.

13. I don't like the bulk of the D3 so I wouldn't add a grip, but the price is higher than I thought / hoped, I was guessing at £1799.

I'll wait for the price drop, the D300 went down in price very quickly.

14. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
  15. I find the camera more comfortable with a grip, so I have one on my D300. I would think by Christmas the prices will be closer to what we were both thinking, but by then there may be a D3x which will knock the D3 down a little further as well... Maybe, who knows, we don't really know the typical price the D700 will be selling at yet until tomorrow.

16. If they also announce it 10:00am Tokyo time on the 1st, it would be about 9:00pm here on the East Coat of the United States.....tonight!

17. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY

Good point!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I guess I just don't get the mindset of those who'd want to spend all the time and effort to perpetrate a hoax. A desire to manipulate people while safely remaining anonymous? :confused: 

While I'd be happy to see an actual D700 with the rumored specs, my personal preference would be for an announcement of the 5D successor. :eek:  Unless, of course, Nikon also unveils an updated 135 2 with AF-S to match Canon's. :wink:

18. kojikin

kojikin Guest

D300 + D700 - 1000% awesome

These two could be an unbeatable combo together. Plus they use the same battery and grip.
    Too bad I don't have a gold bar laying around to sell.:confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.