1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon announces the development of a new AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rick_reno, Jun 14, 2018.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Nikon announces the development of a new AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens | Nikon Rumors

MELVILLE, NY – Today, Nikon Inc. announces the development of the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR, an FX-format fixed focal length super-telephoto lens, which will offer a compelling combination of portability and performance. The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR will be a high-performance super-telephoto lens that is significantly smaller and lighter than comparable predecessors due to the adoption of the same type of Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element found in the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens, introduced in January 2015. Despite its 500mm focal length, the lens is small and light enough to use hand-held in a wide variety of situations where a photographer must capture unpredictable and fast-moving subjects, including sporting events and wildlife photography.

Phase Fresnel Lens Elements

The Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element developed by Nikon effectively compensates for chromatic aberration utilizing the photo diffraction phenomenon*. Compared to many general camera lenses that employ an optical system using the photorefractive phenomenon, a remarkably compact and lightweight body can be attained with fewer lens elements.

Price and Availability

Information regarding the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens, including final specifications and pricing, will be announced later this year. For more information on the latest Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

2. Let's see, the 300 is $2000 so the 500 will be $3500? :D 

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 200-500 is so good at 500/5.6 this new one better be small and light

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Light weight is the key here. I recently bought the 500 f/4 so no 5.6 for me. Also, I use the 1.7 tc on the 500 so that is another reason the 5.6 is out for me.

5. Noooooo.... It's supposed to be 600mm(n) 

6. I'd also expect around $3000-3500, less than 3 pounds, latest VR, fast and close focus. I want one.

7. The reasons why this would be compelling would be weight, much faster (?) AF speed than the 200-500, and price, i'm guessing $4500-$5000 (because they can?)

The F5.6 means it is much less compelling to me, since it will be more of a one trick pony at 500mm/F5.6 since it wont take a TC14 very well. I have a Canon 400mm DO II F4 and it is quite light, will probably be close to the new Nikon 500mm PF, and the fact that I can put a 1.4 TE on it gives me 640mm on FF and 900mm with a Canon 1.6x crop factor camera like the 7DMKII. Its a fabulous lens but costs of course more $7k plus range.

Now if Nikon adds the TC1.25 to this mix and start selling it separately to be used with the new 500mm PF things get much more interesting to me, 625mm FF and 937mm equivalent FL, with 1.5 crop at F7.1. Seems like a small thing but it would be very useful on a D500 for example.

In the end I would very much have preferred a 500 F4 PF for a higher price or a 600 F5.6 PF.

Never the less this is a good development, and will sell well to people that cant afford an F4 nor wont have the weight to haul around on airplanes

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I read the patent list the length at 25CM about 8 1/3 inch.

9. That alone would be VERY appealing. In comparison the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens is 74.1 oz (2.1 kg) and 5.0 x 9.2" ( 12.7 x 23.4 cm( without Hood) so very similar to the new Nikon 500mm PF

btw 25 cm is 9.85 inches

10. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm waiting for the 400/f4 PF. ;) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm with you, but good luck with that.....it makes far more sense than a 400/f5.6

12. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    NR updated their coverage on this lens with specs on size/price. They're saying it will be ten inches long and cost around $4300(US). Nothing about weight.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  13. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Frankly, I am rather disappointed because f/5.6 is too slow if you need to use TCs.

Many people who photograph small Birds will need to use TCs on a 500mm — and they will require AF as well.

Both my 300 PF and my 200-400mm (both f/4) take TCs and will provide a more useful alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Sure, but something has to give if it is going to be smaller, lighter, cheaper. Good thing there is already a 500mm f/4 for people like you. I’m sure it will be updated sooner rather than later.

15. $4,300 and a little over 9.4 inches long. Nothing about weight yet.

16. ooooh, looks exciting.... can't wait to see how sharp it is.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom, I froze your credit cards in a block of ice." - Georgie Beagle

17. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
  18. ohhhh great! it will fit in my tiny beagle paws and be perfect on my D500.. Mom can keep her 200-500 monster...

Cheers,
    Georgie Beagle

" Georgie, did you take my credit card?" - mom

19. Automatic pre-order for me.

• Wow Wow x 1
  20. I'm still waiting on U.S. pricing, but it's on list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.