Nikon Chicago

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by eng45ine, Jun 3, 2007.

1. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hello All,

Several members of the Nikon Cafe united in Chicago on Saturday, June 2nd. Some were here for business, one flew in just for the fun of it and the rest of us just live here. We began our day with wonderful temps and skies in Millenium Park along Michigan Avenue. Probably, the most famous attraction in Millenium Park is Cloud Gate (aka "The Bean")....
    View attachment 98799

Not a bad place to take a group "self-portrait"....
    View attachment 98800

Millenium Park is home to two huge glass block sculptures that are interactive...
    View attachment 98801

And wet...
    View attachment 98802

Which cause a wonderful "end result".....
    View attachment 98803

Like any big city, Chicago has it's share of big buildings such as the Prudential Building...
    View attachment 98804

And this one who's name escapes me...
    View attachment 98805

The buildings form a wonderful skyline during the day...
    View attachment 98806

and at night (not a recent photo)...
    View attachment 98807

Chicago has many landmarks, the Chicago Water Tower, which survived the Great Chicago Fire...
    View attachment 98808

The Art Institute Lions...
    View attachment 98809

Navy Pier, the most popular place in Chicago for kids to visit...
    View attachment 98810

Plenty of places to stroll the streets, like along the Magnificant Mile (Michigan Avenue)...
    View attachment 98811

Where musicians fill the shopping corridor with sweet sounds...
    View attachment 98812

Chicago is noted for it's beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline...
    View attachment 98813
    View attachment 98814

Chicago is home of the Cubs....and some other sporting teams :redface:
    View attachment 98815

I could go on and on....but, Chicago is friendships! Not all who attended are pictured here, MarieBoyer needed to ready herself for a flight home and Spudsbud rushed home to watch his son play ball.
    FishSauce (Ben) Rich Gibson (Rich) Tomerrifc (Ty) and PhilK (Phil)
    View attachment 98816
  2. Beautiful series, Frank.

And thanks to everyone for showing me the beauty of Chicago.
  3. Wonderful pictures of your beautiful city Frank. I always enjoyed my visits there. Nice to see some Cafe folks having fun together.
  4. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful images
    So great to see the folks together
  5. Great series, Frank, and it certainly looks like you boys had a lot of fun! :biggrin:
  6. Great set, Frank. Thanks for a quick visit to Chi-town and more shots of the guys. :smile:
  7. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005

Sorry you couldn't join my wife and me during our annual Chicago trek several weeks ago. Your photos from your latest outing are awesome! Here are several images I captured on the day you and I planned to shoot together. Hope to catch up with you next time.

Everyone's comments and criticisms are strongly encouraged, as this represents 2) firsts:

1st time I shot RAW
    1st use of Lightroom

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  8. sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL

Thanks for the wonderful tour of our beloved city. I know I missed out on a lot of fun, especially the chance to meet with some of the other Cafe members and visitors from out of town. Your shots are awesome and so are the ones posted by John ('Gadgetguy11'). Thanks for a wonderful tour, you guys!
  9. FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You have captured the beauty of Chicago very well. I had quite a good time with the group. Thanks for your effort to bring us together.
  10. rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots, Frank.
  11. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Thank you, Shekhar! Chicago is the most romantic place on earth for my wife and me. Never did I realize when proposing on horse and carriage 13 years ago on Michigan Avenue at Midnight, that we would return for romance every year!! Wonderful city, and even more wonderful PEOPLE who live there!!
  12. Frank, what a great photographic "tour" you've taken us on! :smile: Chicago is a beautiful and fascinating city! I love "the Bean!" If ever I get back out to Chicago that is definitely one thing I want to see and photograph!

It sure looks as though you guys had a great time doing the city!

John, your photos add more intriguing views of "the Windy City!" Hey, congratulations on finally jumping into shooting RAW. It's not so hard after all, is it? LOL!
  13. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Thank you, Connie!

RAW is not so hard, BUT... I just changed photo #9 because contrast was too high, and I still think sharpening is a touch high on it??? Also, half of my images I saved as jpeg from Lightroom have file sizes greater than Smugmug will allow. I never had this problem shooting jpeg. I need to go back, constrain the file size, then Smugmug will accept them. And I need to redo a bunch of images I converted because I think contrast is too high :frown:
  14. FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Your Chicago series are wonderful

Here is my version of Nikon Cafe ... in Chicago

It was a beautiful day to start ...

Scupture and Building
    View attachment 98819

Rich was taking his self-portrait
    View attachment 98820

Self-portrait under the Bean
    View attachment 98821

Phil in Chicago :smile:
    View attachment 98822

Others photographers were more serious than us :biggrin:
    View attachment 98823

Navy Pier
    View attachment 98824

Navy Pier
    View attachment 98825

Nikon Cafe Chicago
    will leave some traces of memory in us
    View attachment 98826
  15. Ben, what terrific photos! I love all of them but I think I especially like that one of Phil shooting the birdies.... :smile:
  16. FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. That photo is also one of my favorite.
    Phil is such a nice person to meet in person.
  17. Next time he's here in the US I hope I'll be able to meet him!!!
  18. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Thank you, Ben! Processing RAW has been a real learning experience.

Ben, every one of your images is special. You have used creative ideas that really make an interesting photo collection. I really like the reflection in #1, the composition of #2, the "bird shot" with Phil. The photogs shooting the guy doing hand stands is my favorite. Then there is the creative shot of the feet... That is super creative!
  19. Great stuff my friends, nice to see you all having a good time together.
  20. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Here are a few from a Chicago suburb named "Wilmette" :

Baha'i Temple

Inside View from the pulpit:

Looking Up:

WAY UP!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007