Nikon Cafe Toronto Shoot: The Wet Look at Mountsberg

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Markb, Jun 11, 2007.

1. On Saturday, Rich, TOLady, VictorM and myself hooked up for a wonderful day of wandering around and shooting nature in Halton Region. After visiting Crawford Lake, we visited the Mountsberg Wildlife Centre, which has a hospital for injured raptors (and other large birds).

Here are a few shots of some of the long term guests at Mountsberg:

This Great Horned Owl kept his eye on us throughout our visit:

original.

Owls don't have sweat glands, so they cool off by panting, or taking a cold shower. It was quite warm, so this owl cooled off, and apparently enjoyed it, even if he doesn't look like it:

original.

This American Kestrel is one of two at the centre, and he (I think) took advantage of the opportunity to cool off as well:

original.

Keep an eye out for more captures from this weekend!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Great shots, Mark! You held those whites in check in difficult circumstances - white, wet feathers in high sunlight.

Yes, lots of fun was had by all, and once again, thanks for introducing me to that raptor centre - I'm going back again!

3. Thank you Sandi.

(And to be fair, I did use your 1.4TC to capture these. I'm hooked and gonna get me one.)

4. Nice shots Mark!
    I'm looking out for your next ones and hope to see some of you folks having a good time!

5. Great, glad to see you like that little addition to the bag. Shooting with buddies can get expensive! :biggrin: I like the fact that the 1.4 can hold the quality and doesn't lose much light. I leave the TC on my 70-200VR all the time.

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Darn; I'm getting the dreaded red X.

7. Hey Mark, the pics aren't coming up for me either, but I went directly to your pbase site and was able to view them there. I've got some of the wet owl also, not sure if I should post them here or start a new thread.

8. Had to go to your site but some really nice shots well worth the voyage

9. I also had some red x's when I came back. Hope the edit helps.

And thank you for the comments.

10. Victor,

You can post them here, or start your own thread. The more the merrier.

11. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Great photos everyone! What a wonderful spot. I have been to Crawford lake before, but didn't know abouth te aviary.

It's a shame I heard about this outing too late. I would have loved to meet you folks. Maybe next time.

Cheers,
    Andrew

12. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    Nice shots and perfect exposures on the GHO.