Nikon Capture 4.2

Just downloaded Capture 4.2 from the NikonUSA website. Have not played with yet, but it's out there.

After a little playing, it does seem a bit faster then before. You can set it up to check for updates when the program starts (not like they come out like Windows). It has a FASTER or BETTER QUALITY for things like D-light and nosie.

Hi all,

Well it is slow as molasses. The replacement for DEE is great.

Need more testing of it. But it is so slow. Yes I have a fast processor and 1 gig ram and 128 on board for video card.

All new tips welcomed.

Ron is taking a look at it. Hopeully he will get back to us to.

Cheers
Gale

On my computer it does not load files any faster. I timed a file before upgrading and it took exactly the same time after the upgrade. Some of the operations after loading the file may be faster, although the noise reduction is not one of them.

I made a comparison between the best settings I could come up with in NC NR and neat image and neat image wins hands down IMO.

As an aside, I have a new computer on order, so I will retime opening the same NEF on the new computer when I get it.

I like it from what I have seen so far. Mine loads quite fast but then I have the latest and greatest as PC's go. 2GB ram also. The D-Lighting is interesting and will have to play more before I can really conclude what it is doing.

This version has better conversion engine, more accurate. Nikon cares for quality. And next version may actually be slower then this one.

You can try fast film processing, you will never get the result the same as with normal processing.

My friend, one of the best cooks in the world, use to say - if you want good meal, do not microwave it. People pay hundreds for the dinner, and wait up to an hour for the main course to arrive.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
played around with it a bit

since this morning
* D-lightning seems to do a better job, not very well thought through that you have to convert yourrself, should convert then tell you to check it IMHO. Good that one can do fast vs quality version.
* Straightening of pictues is really easy - Great! very much needed! (Should have it own button on the toolbar and it is buried in the rotate menu)
* Still starts chooking when you load 5 pictures, I have 1GB Ram shouldnt do that! It stilla memory hog
* Loads a tiny bit faster, processing is the same time (not that you can give the program a high priority in Taskmanager to increase speed!)
*Photo-effects seesm marginally useful , easy to get BW or sepia, haven't tried the photocontrols yet.
*Markers (in tool palette three) is a nice features with a really dumb name, should have been called Revisions history, or something like that that describes what it does, you can save "markers" while you are worling to e able to go back and forth between old tweaks in the postprocessing to compare which one you like or to start over, very nice but ooh what a dumb name!
*Batch processing: Someone said at DPReview that one could do multiple batches I have not been able to find that yet....
*Noise reduction is not better then before - C'mon Nikon!

thats pretty much all i have found, what else have others found?

andreas

So slow.....

Well, no that's not entirely true...on the D2H and D70 it's fine...but don't try it on my CP8800.
I just don't why it works fine on a 6MP camera but takes 30 secs to alter the EV or sharpness etc on an 8MP camera.
I sure hope it's the structure of the 8800 files that kill it, and not the file size, because as I said before, it's not gonna please D2X users if the 8800 is anything to go by. So, for me its capture for the D2H and D70, but I just will have to use CS's raw for the 8800. Nuisance having two workflows.

D

daytontp

It is the structure of the 8800 NEFs. I noticed the same thing with NC 4.1.3. I posted a thread on the DPR and Thom Hogan replied talking about how the Coolpix NEFs are different.

Dayton, Dayton, Dayton....

Dayton, I'm going to have to disagree with you.... :? Your signature says 'As bad as it gets...', so I decided to look at your pbase site.

Wrong :!: :!:

I'll admit that I didn't look at every pic, but I did look at your pet gallery, and you have some really great shots of some obviously well loved animals.... :lol:

Your pics are *far* from bad.... 8)

Regards,

Frank

Another thing they have fixed is how naming occurs in the multi-image window. If you made a batch change to several photos and saved as NEF it would maintain the same file names, but if you saved as TIF or JPG it wood change the root name (appending a counter ie 0001) - which made it useless for me. They have added the option of retaining the original root name now - this will definately improve my workflow.

Capture 4.2 impressions

I have downloaded and installed 4.2 as well and although it loads a bit faster (could be subjective, I didn't measure the times), it also takes a lot more memory to do its job. I have 1.5GB of RAM and used to be able to transfer the pictures from Capture into PS using the Image | to PS 16-bit menu, which avoided to formally save the file as TIFF and then opening it up in PS. Well' I still can, but the system is swapping like crazy now, which means that there isn't enough memory to have both Capture and PS open at the image loaded in both at the same time...

Other than that, I like the new D-light: it is much faster than DEE. The noise reduction is also much better than it was in 4.1.x, but it is incredibly slow, particularly in the high quality mode. If someone convinces me that the noise reduction from Capture 4.2 is done before the raw conversion, on the raw data, and is therefore located at a better place in the work flow than in Noise Image, with the PS plug-in, which occurs after the exposure, WB and gamma adjustments done in Capture 4.1.x, I might reconsider for the wall hangers, but otherwise, "fuggetaboutit"! :(

I haven't tried the RR WB adj. yet but only because I hadn't thought about it. I was just reading that last night and have it on my agenda of things to do.

slowness...

I have tried the RR WB adjustments, and indeed it is painfully slow updating the histogram. It seems like touch-ups of the exposure are slow as well. But, I have to retract what I said earlier about the high memory consumption: it didn't really appear until I enabled noise reduction. I guess I'll stay away from that and wil keep doing it in NeatImage, in PS, after the conversion.

Here is an old (August) pic that I reprocessed with NC 4.2... She's been eating dirt... and hasn't stopped since! :)

15763659-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful animal Philippe. You will have to sprinkle a little pepper in the area where she is apt to eat the dirt. A couple of times with that and she will quit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom