Nikon Capture and those Red Focus Marks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jgrove, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    2 weeks on a i have managed to get around to editing the photos my brother took of my wedding. He used my D2hs, what i have noticed is a slightly of centre focus bug.

I have noticed this before but it has been harder to see than in this image, i am making an assumption here that these red marks are very much a guide or is my centre focus indicator a bit off the mark in my camera?

[​IMG]

2. Your focus mark follows the bracket that you have selected in your viewfinder (see manual). In the case you have presented, you had the left of center bracket selected and your subject was in the center of your image. I suggest that you either adjust which focus bracket you are using or you compose your image with the bracket on the face of your subject, hold the button halfway down then compose your image and take the picture. You can also use focus lock (see manual) to lock in your focus and then compose and take your picture.

3. I don't know. NC is showing my focus point differently than what I am shooting. My focus is locked in the center and I can focus on my kid's nose but NC will always show it slightly left of center. I have never been able to figure it out. I was thinking there is something wrong with my D70 or lens.

4. Greg, when you focus on your kids nose if you don't lock it some way (either hold the button half way down or use focus lock) any movement of the camera from this position will follow the movement. Is your red bracket mark on the center focus position in the instance cited. If it is then it should show up in NC that way as well.

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    The focus bracket in NC simply recalls the camera setting as saved in the RAW file. If, as in the case above, the center left bracket is selected, this is the one that appears on the picture in NC. Depending on the AF mode (in this case AF-S), it seems like the picture above has been focused on the girl in front, then the camera was moved to the left and the picture taken. Which is explains that the girl on the left is out of focus even though the focus brackets indicate differently.

Greg, I also have a D70 and didn't notice that the center focus brackets in NC are off center (I don't say it doesn't, I just would need to check). In any case, it should have nothing to do with the camera or lens. There is simply an information byte somewhere in the RAW header that tells NC which focus sensor was set and used when the picture was taken.

6. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks for all your replies, so i think then the correct comment to make on the focus marks in NC is this.

"The Red Focus indicators presented in NC when you load a NEF file that has recorded the focus mark should be used as a guide to where the camera focused and not the definitive point on which it did focus"

That sound about correct?

Thanks