Nikon Capture and View NX crashing

Hi everyone,
I am new to the Nikon cafe and have recently learned about the value of using Nikon Capture and Nikon Nxi to download and edit my photos. My problem is that on my windows 10 PC I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled and on and on and when I open either program is stays on screen for just a couple of seconds and then immediately closes. Does anyone have any direction as to what might be the problem? My son is a computer professional in California and teamviewer remoted into my camera for about 2 1/2 hours but was not able to get it to open either and suggested that I pose the question on this forum in hopes that someone else might have some insight.
Thanks in advance,
Javagirl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thank you olshroom for the welcome and info. Im using it in conjunction with a photography class (hopefully) so maybe someone here has come across the same problem...

I used Capture NX and NX2 for years. I even conducted an infamous contest here about the timing of when Capture NX3 would be released. (It never was and never will be released). I've also casually followed posts about Nikon's various software products in the years since then. Yet despite all the problems I've seen reported including the issues I reported myself, I don't remember anyone having this particular issue. I sympathize with you.

I've used both programs, and transfer, on Macs and PCs and have never encountered the problem. Transfer is not a prerequisite for Capture or View. Best advice is to completely uninstall both programs and reinstall.

After a quick search I found a discussion similar to this with a solution that apparently worked.
Update: I have been advised that "Those commands permanently turn off Windows Defender, which is the normal Windows anti-virus. Without it one is completely unprotected." - so I have removed the image and would advise listening to Richard's advice [Growltiger] as he knows a lot more than me about computers :)

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I strongly advise against following the instructions just above. Turning off Windows Defender is a really really really bad idea, for obvious reasons.

I suggest you stop trying to use the Nikon software to copy the photos. Far better to simply use File Explorer.

But it sounds like your problems are more serious that that - the programs won't run at all.

Please clarify exactly which programs you are trying to install. Nikon Capture, which you mention, became obsolete some years ago, and you should not be trying to install it. Also say where you got the progams from. You should be downloading from Nikon direcly.

I strongly advise against following the instructions just above. Turning off Windows Defender is a really really really bad idea, for obvious reasons.

I suggest you stop trying to use the Nikon software to copy the photos. Far better to simply use File Explorer.

But it sounds like your problems are more serious that that - the programs won't run at all.

Please clarify exactly which programs you are trying to install. Nikon Capture, which you mention, became obsolete some years ago, and you should not be trying to install it. Also say where you got the progams from. You should be downloading from Nikon direcly.
My son is a computer professional and strongly advised against turning off defender as well. I have used another editing software program for years and only recently became aware of the proprietary software in camera that takes the quality down if you download to a third party program vs. using a nikon software program and so I am curious to try it.

I am downloading from Nikon directly. Nikon ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D. Both are for a photography class that I am enrolled in via zoom.
here are the pages that I downloaded from: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/165.html
and here: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/imaging-software/capture-nx-d.html

Both programs open for just a couple of seconds and them immediately close. I have installed and uninstalled the, both multiple times.

Thank you for responding to my question. I am hopeful that you have see this before and might have some direction for me.
Javagirl

Last edited:
JavaGirl: Considering that you are new to our community, you are probably not aware of Growltiger's reputation for being immensely helpful in these situations (as well as many other tech-related situations). I strongly encourage you to heed anything and everything he suggests. Every time I have done so, I have come out a winner.
Thank you Mike, I appreciate that very much!

After a quick search I found a discussion similar to this with a solution that apparently worked.
Update: I have been advised that "Those commands permanently turn off Windows Defender, which is the normal Windows anti-virus. Without it one is completely unprotected." - so I have removed the image and would advise listening to Richard's advice [Growltiger] as he knows a lot more than me about computers :)
thank you, I agree and have been advised to not turn off defender.
JG

I've used both programs, and transfer, on Macs and PCs and have never encountered the problem. Transfer is not a prerequisite for Capture or View. Best advice is to completely uninstall both programs and reinstall.
Thank you Palouse, I have done that to no avail.

I used Capture NX and NX2 for years. I even conducted an infamous contest here about the timing of when Capture NX3 would be released. (It never was and never will be released). I've also casually followed posts about Nikon's various software products in the years since then. Yet despite all the problems I've seen reported including the issues I reported myself, I don't remember anyone having this particular issue. I sympathize with you.
Thank you Mike, I'm hopeful that there is a solution. The programs have great merit according to some info I recently received via a photography class by a teacher who has worked directly with the Nikon engineers who have created the in camera software.

Hi Ms. Java and welcome to the club. This is a great place to get answers to your questions. What I use to download my programs is Nikon Transfer 2. I have never had a problem with it. I hope you get your issues resolved...
thank you olshroom for the welcome and info. I'm using it in conjunction with a photography class (hopefully) so maybe someone here has come across the same problem...

Welcome. I just updated to the latest versions of NX-D and View NX-2. Both work fine on my win 10 laptop. View NX-2 is newer than the older NX-i, you might try that. I download the two together, Nikon names the file "all-in". They replace any existing files and will uninstall previous versions during install. I'm wondering if there is a conflict with some other software?

Real Name
Bill
Shot in the dark but are you running an older version of Windows 10? Some of the early releases are pretty buggy and if you don't have it set to auto update that might be the case. Latest version is 1909

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
OK, you have the correct Nikon software.
Some questions.
Which version of Win 10 are you running? 1909?
Are you running Win 10 64 bit or 32 bit?
Do you have plenty of memory in the computer? How much?
What is the processor?
All the above questions can be answered by going to All settings/System/About, which should show something like this:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Is there anything unusual about your computer?

Are you running any anti-virus software other than Windows Defender? If you are what is it?
Perhaps you were given it "free" with the computer so that you then had to start paying for it. If so try uninstalling it, ignore its threats, and let Windows Defender protect you instead. This is a possible reason, as it may be preventing the installs working.

From Thom Hogans site:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom