Nikon Capture and View NX crashing

On my Mac:
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 16.47.36.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On both my PC's (win 7 and win10) the latest NX-i downloaded from Nikon USA installed as View NX-2. Looks like the older format/desktop icon. I updated as the current version as of Feb 2020 includes support for the D6. I can confirm that this latest version of View handles D6 NEF's. The older version of View NX-i also seems to handle the D6 NEFS. Can't explain it, just an observation. I doubt the older NV-2 would handle D6 NEFs. It also is listed as not being compatible with Win 7 yet it did install on my Win 7 machine where the updated Capture NX-D refused to install as the OS is no longer supported.

I have checked on the Nikon Europe site, View NX2 was last updated in 2015, Capture NX2 in 2014.
View NXi and Capture NXD in Feb 2020.
All available to download.
I am installing the 2020 versions on a newly reset Thinkpad X1, Windows 10.

Here is how they appear,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome. I just updated to the latest versions of NX-D and View NX-2. Both work fine on my win 10 laptop. View NX-2 is newer than the older NX-i, you might try that. I download the two together, Nikon names the file "all-in". They replace any existing files and will uninstall previous versions during install. I'm wondering if there is a conflict with some other software?
I agree that I believe that may be the problem. Now to figure out which one...

Shot in the dark but are you running an older version of Windows 10? Some of the early releases are pretty buggy and if you don't have it set to auto update that might be the case. Latest version is 1909
Thank you, I am running 1909.
JG

OK, you have the correct Nikon software.
Some questions.
Which version of Win 10 are you running? 1909?
Are you running Win 10 64 bit or 32 bit?
Do you have plenty of memory in the computer? How much?
What is the processor?
All the above questions can be answered by going to All settings/System/About, which should show something like this:
View attachment 1661952

Is there anything unusual about your computer?

Are you running any anti-virus software other than Windows Defender? If you are what is it?
Perhaps you were given it "free" with the computer so that you then had to start paying for it. If so try uninstalling it, ignore its threats, and let Windows Defender protect you instead. This is a possible reason, as it may be preventing the installs working.
Nikon Cafe info.png
Nikon Cafe info.png

I am running 1909. My computer was set up by my IT person through my company. All of my photos are offloaded to a passport hard drive to keep the computer from filling and there is plenty of memory left to operate. The security is Norton 360 (not defender). I did attach the info above. I don't think that there is anything unusual about my computer but digging around in it isn't my strong suite that's for sure. T

You really need to uninstall ALL of the Nikon applications on your computer first, then try to install Nikon ViewNX-i followed by Nikon CaptureNX-D. If all of the Nikon applications are not uninstalled first, some will leave "junk" sitting around that can mess up future installs. In Windows 10, there is a section called "Control Panel" and within that there is a place that list all installed programs and gives you a chance to pick the option to uninstall a program.

On my Windows 10 computer, there are the following Nikon applications installed. I am having no problems but you are likely have at least 4 of these installed.

1.) Capture NX-D
2.) NEF Codec (you may not have that one)
3.) Nikon Message Center 2
4.) Nikon Transfer 2
5.) ViewNX-i

While uninstalling ViewNX-i, some of the others might get also uninstalled, so do ViewNX-i first. You will definitely have to also uninstall Capture NX-D.

Growltiger is best to help walk you thru the uninstall process using the Windows Control Panel (installing / uninstalling programs)

Wait a minute -- if this is an employer-issued computer then you may not be permitted to download and install any software on your own....have you checked with the IT people to see if it is OK to do that?
This is my computer and I own the company. I am not limited in my downloads but I did have them set it up because it isn't my strong suite.

Should have put in the above response...

When looking at the list of installed applications, the left column lists the name of the application and the next column over list the software provider. You are looking for ANY program where the software provider is listed as Nikon Corporation.

Ah, OK......so that knocks that issue off the table, then. I would do as has been recommended by others here and delete the Nikon software on there now and start over again with the current versions.
Thank you, I just did that and re-installed but same issue.....

Should have put in the above response...

When looking at the list of installed applications, the left column lists the name of the application and the next column over list the software provider. You are looking for ANY program where the software provider is listed as Nikon Corporation.
I did that and uninstalled 6 Nikon programs but upon re-installing ViewNX-i and CaptureNX-D have the same issue.

You really need to uninstall ALL of the Nikon applications on your computer first, then try to install Nikon ViewNX-i followed by Nikon CaptureNX-D. If all of the Nikon applications are not uninstalled first, some will leave "junk" sitting around that can mess up future installs. In Windows 10, there is a section called "Control Panel" and within that there is a place that list all installed programs and gives you a chance to pick the option to uninstall a program.

On my Windows 10 computer, there are the following Nikon applications installed. I am having no problems but you are likely have at least 4 of these installed.

1.) Capture NX-D
2.) NEF Codec (you may not have that one)
3.) Nikon Message Center 2
4.) Nikon Transfer 2
5.) ViewNX-i

While uninstalling ViewNX-i, some of the others might get also uninstalled, so do ViewNX-i first. You will definitely have to also uninstall Capture NX-D.

Growltiger is best to help walk you thru the uninstall process using the Windows Control Panel (installing / uninstalling programs)
Thank you for your help. I printed off your email and did it step by step but upon re-installing the program have the same issue. I may be ready to say uncle and call my IT person when the holiday weekend is over.

If you want to go "hunting" to find the error code that is logged when a program crashes, here how. You can't hurt anything looking.

1.) Somewhere on your desktop, there should be an ICON called This PC or MY COMPUTER; Right click on the icon
2.) You should see the option Manage (3rd item down); left click on that
3.) A box will pop up; on the left column, you should see Event Viewer with a small ">" next to it; click on the ">" to expand the item.
4.) You should then see Windows Logs with the ">" next to it, click on the ">" to expand the item.
5.) You should then see Applications (without a ">"); click on Applications. Wait a minute or so for it to fill in the top box next it within the screen.
6.) Scroll thru looking for a RED "!" in the left column (indicates a program crashed) with the 3rd column listing ViewNX-i or Nikon something.
7.) Click on the line item, and stuff appears in the box below the box listing errors.
8.) In that box, you will see some error codes and the specific module that failed with "xxxxxxxxxx" codes. That might help describe what the problem is.
9.) You could try taking a screen shot of the "stuff" describing the problem, and post it here to see if anyone here recognizes the problem.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom