Nikon Capture and View NX crashing

In case you don't have an icon called This PC or MY COMPUTER on your desktop, do the following

1.) RIGHT click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner, and a panel pops up
2.) Find "Computer Management" and click on it. That will also get you there and proceed with step 3 from above.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think it likely that if you remove or disable that Norton software you are (or will be) paying for, the Nikon programs will run.
Did it come "free" with the computer or did your tech guy decide to install it for you?
Once removed, Windows Defender will come to life to protect you.
There may be a way to temporarily disable it if you are worried about ditching it.

The very first thing I do with a new computer that comes with "free" anti-virus software is uninstall it. The only reason it is there is to earn the compter manufacturer money from the software company. Once the initial free period expires you get demands for money with threats along the lines that the sky will fall on you if you don't pay. It is like paying the mafia protection money.

I doubt any amount of uninstalling and reinstalling the Nikon software will solve it. The current generation of Nikon software is much more reliable than the old versions people here are mentioning.

Yes, there are so many ways Norton 360 can create conflicts and crashes that I too always remove it, and any other antivirus programme.
I only use Windows defender.

One thought, when View NX starts it tries to index pictures in the usual Pictures folder.
Mine includes iCloud pictures as a sub folder.
These are stored in the cloud, as are most of my pictures through OneDrive.
It seems that ViewNX forces the download of all the pictures locally.
This may conflict with your firewall settings in Norton 360. With my setup (defender), I only get notifications that it is doing so and the option to block View NX.
Just a thought.

First thing I do with a new computer is get rid of Norton. You also have to do a file search for Symantec and delete all those files. Defender and Malwarebytes have worked well for me.

I have checked on the Nikon Europe site, View NX2 was last updated in 2015, Capture NX2 in 2014.
View NXi and Capture NXD in Feb 2020.
All available to download.
I am installing the 2020 versions on a newly reset Thinkpad X1, Windows 10.
View NX-i from Nikon USA updated Feb 2020 downloads and installs as View NX-2 on my Win 10 machine. I'll have to get it from the Euro site.

I installed the latest releases of ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D that came out in February 2020 on three different Windows 10 computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop) with no problems, took some Nikon D5 pictures in raw format, loaded them using Nikon Transfer 2 and processed them with ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D. I have been running Norton 360 since October 2019 and before that Norton Security. Neither of the Norton versions have caused any problems installing or running the Nikon software. I live in the US and thus used the US version of the software.

We really need wait and see if she can see something in the Windows logs that indicate something is crashing. If Norton blocked part of the install, when ViewNX-i tried to load that part, you would get a crash entry in the Windows 10 log. If Norton is blocking something from loading when she starts ViewNX-i, Norton will log that in the Norton logs. They are real easy to check.

I just ran ViewNX-i, pointed it to a directory with a bunch of Nikon D5 raw (NEF) files, all worked well, and I checked the Norton logs after that, and nothing was logged since Norton only logs blocked things.

One other thing to check - the very first time ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D is install on a computer, it defaults to look for pictures in a folder called "Pictures" on the default drive (usually the C: drive). If for some reason, whoever setup the PC deleted or rename that folder, ViewNX-i should issue a warning but it may not and just quit. After the first use, ViewNX-i goes to the last used folder when it was running whether you are using the same version or installed a new version. If it can't find the last used folder (because you deleted it or renamed it or it was on a drive that is not available), ViewNX-i then defaults back to the Pictures folder on the C: drive.

If you want to go "hunting" to find the error code that is logged when a program crashes, here how. You can't hurt anything looking.

1.) Somewhere on your desktop, there should be an ICON called This PC or MY COMPUTER; Right click on the icon
2.) You should see the option Manage (3rd item down); left click on that
3.) A box will pop up; on the left column, you should see Event Viewer with a small ">" next to it; click on the ">" to expand the item.
4.) You should then see Windows Logs with the ">" next to it, click on the ">" to expand the item.
5.) You should then see Applications (without a ">"); click on Applications. Wait a minute or so for it to fill in the top box next it within the screen.
6.) Scroll thru looking for a RED "!" in the left column (indicates a program crashed) with the 3rd column listing ViewNX-i or Nikon something.
7.) Click on the line item, and stuff appears in the box below the box listing errors.
8.) In that box, you will see some error codes and the specific module that failed with "xxxxxxxxxx" codes. That might help describe what the problem is.
9.) You could try taking a screen shot of the "stuff" describing the problem, and post it here to see if anyone here recognizes the problem.
Thank you for all of your detailed help. I truly do appreciate you taking the time. Here is what the error codes look like. (at least what 3 of them look like, there were more but I think from previous versions I had installed and then uninstalled)

Attachments

• error #1.png
    error #1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 198
  • error 2.png
    error 2.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 199
  • error 3.png
    error 3.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 212
One other thing to check - the very first time ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D is install on a computer, it defaults to look for pictures in a folder called "Pictures" on the default drive (usually the C: drive). If for some reason, whoever setup the PC deleted or rename that folder, ViewNX-i should issue a warning but it may not and just quit. After the first use, ViewNX-i goes to the last used folder when it was running whether you are using the same version or installed a new version. If it can't find the last used folder (because you deleted it or renamed it or it was on a drive that is not available), ViewNX-i then defaults back to the Pictures folder on the C: drive.

thank you. That is where is goes but the file "pictures" is still present.

I installed the latest releases of ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D that came out in February 2020 on three different Windows 10 computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop) with no problems, took some Nikon D5 pictures in raw format, loaded them using Nikon Transfer 2 and processed them with ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D. I have been running Norton 360 since October 2019 and before that Norton Security. Neither of the Norton versions have caused any problems installing or running the Nikon software. I live in the US and thus used the US version of the software.

We really need wait and see if she can see something in the Windows logs that indicate something is crashing. If Norton blocked part of the install, when ViewNX-i tried to load that part, you would get a crash entry in the Windows 10 log. If Norton is blocking something from loading when she starts ViewNX-i, Norton will log that in the Norton logs. They are real easy to check.

I just ran ViewNX-i, pointed it to a directory with a bunch of Nikon D5 raw (NEF) files, all worked well, and I checked the Norton logs after that, and nothing was logged since Norton only logs blocked things.
specifically, it is Nortonlife lock 360. It did label the files as "safe" when I was trying to download them.
I think I may be ready to bring in someone smarter than me to try and figure this out.
Thank you for your help!
Lisza

I think it likely that if you remove or disable that Norton software you are (or will be) paying for, the Nikon programs will run.
Did it come "free" with the computer or did your tech guy decide to install it for you?
Once removed, Windows Defender will come to life to protect you.
There may be a way to temporarily disable it if you are worried about ditching it.

The very first thing I do with a new computer that comes with "free" anti-virus software is uninstall it. The only reason it is there is to earn the compter manufacturer money from the software company. Once the initial free period expires you get demands for money with threats along the lines that the sky will fall on you if you don't pay. It is like paying the mafia protection money.

I doubt any amount of uninstalling and reinstalling the Nikon software will solve it. The current generation of Nikon software is much more reliable than the old versions people here are mentioning.

It was installed by my computer IT person. Because I can access my work servers from my home computer I wouldn't do that without his direction. My plan is to have him remote in tomorrow if he is available and see if we can figure it out.
Thank you for all of your help! JG

The reports you are showing are not being logged as a result of something Nikon software is doing. The 2nd error is appearing for a lot of folks running Windows Version 1909 but is not related to application software such as Nikon Software.

I would recommend you uninstall all of the Nikon Software again PLUS delete the downloaded installation files from Nikon also (which are in a folder called Downloads). I would even recommend you restart your computer to make sure Windows 10 is running OK (a restart sometimes cleans up junk) I would then do a new download of both Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i and make sure you are downloading the versions labeled for "US and Latin America" assuming you are located in the US. It will let you download and install other geographic versions but I sure not they will even run or work correctly. It will also make sure you have a fresh copy in case the first set didn't download correctly.

The latest US versions of ViewNXi and Capture NX-D that I downloaded have the following file names and work fine.

S_VNXI__-010402WF-ALLIN-ALL___ for ViewNXi 1.4.2
S_NXD__-010602WF-ALLIN-ALL____ for Capture NX-D 1.6.2

Secondly, if Norton 360 or the LifeLock version is blocking part of the install and/or blocking part of the execution, Norton will log it. It is real easy to check the Norton log.

There should see a Norton 360 icon or Norton LifeLock 360 icon on your desktop.

1.) Double-click on it.
2.) A panel will appear... on the right side of it near the top, you should see something about "Device Security" (hopefully saying you are protected) with an option to the right of it to "OPEN", click on the OPEN.
3.) A new panel will appear, again saying "You Are Protected". Click on the computer icon on the left side of those words, the bottom of the box will drop down. You should see 5 options, one of which is "History"
4.) Click on the History icon (looks like a clock). Give it a minute or so to load. It will show ALL activity with the most recent on top with a time stamp of when the event occurred.
5.) Scroll down thru the list looking for a yellow dot with "Medium" next to it - OR - a red dot with "High" next to it. Those are the entries that are getting blocked and it will say why.
6.) To get out of Norton logs, just keeping clicking the "X" in the upper right corner.

I would then run the installation of ViewNX-i that you just downloaded and then go look at the Norton logs to see if it blocked anything during the install. If not, then launch (run) Nikon ViewNX-i. If it doesn't work or end almost immediately, then again go and look at the Norton logs to see if Norton block something by looking for a block time of approximately when you installed or ran ViewNX-i. That will help determine if Norton is causing a problem installing and running Nikon software.

Last edited:
Just checking on nx problems. I just migrated from an older iMac yesterday and had to get the newest Nikon View NX and Capture. Tried dragging a file into View NX-i today and the thing not only didn't open but crashed my finder. I tried everything under the sun and finally had to reach around and manually restart the mac. Next time it worked.
As anyone who ever went through the occasional minor glitches getting a new system running the first thing you think is it's your new unit and not the software. Time will tell

Hi everyone,
I am new to the Nikon cafe and have recently learned about the value of using Nikon Capture and Nikon Nxi to download and edit my photos. My problem is that on my windows 10 PC I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled and on and on and when I open either program is stays on screen for just a couple of seconds and then immediately closes. Does anyone have any direction as to what might be the problem? My son is a computer professional in California and teamviewer remoted into my camera for about 2 1/2 hours but was not able to get it to open either and suggested that I pose the question on this forum in hopes that someone else might have some insight.
Thanks in advance,
Javagirl
JG,
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have had the same problem with View NX2 periodically for years. I have found over and over that the problem was with one single image file in the folder. I have been running Windows 10, updated regularly, since it was released. I don't think I had the problem with earlier versions of windows. In my case, the file that causes the crash has always been a jpeg that was created and edited from an NEF. I find that file by the process of elimination. First I sort the file by "Type" and cut and paste all the jpegs to a 2nd folder. The 2nd folder will now crash the program, but the original folder will not (in my case). Move half the files in that 2nd folder to a 3rd folder. See if the 2nd folder still crashes the program. If it does not, then you've isolated the problem to the 3rd folder and it will then cause the crash. Remove half the files again and repeat this procedure until you finally isolate the single file that is causing the crash. Leave that file in the final folder (I label mine "corrupted_file" (though "corrupted" may not be the technically correct term).

Like you, I have tried all of the other procedures described in this thread to try to find a permanent fix. I found this thread because I was, once again, looking for that illusive permanent solution - I never found it, but so far, the procedure I described has always worked. I believe the problem file has always been a jpeg that was created from an NEF file. No other programs have a problem opening the file.

Hope this helps,

--mike

Last edited:
OK, you have the correct Nikon software.
Some questions.
Which version of Win 10 are you running? 1909?
Are you running Win 10 64 bit or 32 bit?
Do you have plenty of memory in the computer? How much?
What is the processor?
All the above questions can be answered by going to All settings/System/About, which should show something like this:
View attachment 1661952

Is there anything unusual about your computer?

Are you running any anti-virus software other than Windows Defender? If you are what is it?
Perhaps you were given it "free" with the computer so that you then had to start paying for it. If so try uninstalling it, ignore its threats, and let Windows Defender protect you instead. This is a possible reason, as it may be preventing the installs working.
Nonsense. I use Sophos which is an industry leader, far better than that Windows software.

Nonsense.

Chris: I'll explain why you're reply of "nonsense" to Growltiger (Richard) strikes me as being very unwise. If you haven't been hanging out here, it's understandable that you wouldn't be aware of the number of people he has helped out over the years by generously giving LOTS of time to them and by sharing his immense computer expertise with them. Indeed, you may not be aware of the people like me, when asked what we want for Christmas, that respond that all we want is Richard for Christmas. To summarily dismiss what he has to say is foolhardy at the very best.

Latest threads

Top Bottom