Nikon Capture Issue w/ D200 NEFs

Hi,

I seem to have some problem with Nikon Capture and D200 NEFs. I upgraded to the latest version 4.4. I can open the NEF and edit them. If I try to save the file as a JPG file, the output file is all screwed up. I have attached a photo to show what I mean. JPGs out of the camera seem to be fine.

79981969-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Has anyone come across this issue? Any suggestions/solutions?

When you save as JPEG, is it in the hoghest quality or the the lowest?
Based on personal experience, my guess is thats your problem. Dont use the lowest quality.
-Jawad

JayR said:
I saved it in 8 bit highest quality jpgs.

Jay, I'll send you a PM with my number, give me a call and we can walk through it. I'll pop Capture up here and we can follow the same steps. I am pretty sure that Jawad is on the right track, the other thing that immediately comes to mind is the PPI, if you were doing any cropping.

Look for the PM.....

This seems to be an initialization bug in Nikon Capture. After upgrading to 4.4, the compression quality dropdown for jpgs in the "Save As" dialog is not initialized to anything. This results in a totally garbled image like the one I posted above. Once you make a selection, it remembers the compression quality and all is fine.

Thanks to Jawad and Bill for helping figure this one out.

JayR said:
This seems to be an initialization bug in Nikon Capture. After upgrading to 4.4, the compression quality dropdown for jpgs in the "Save As" dialog is not initialized to anything. This results in a totally garbled image like the one I posted above. Once you make a selection, it remembers the compression quality and all is fine.

Thanks to Jawad and Bill for helping figure this one out.

What I found most peculiar is that when it is at the "default", an empty selection, the file size saved is smaller than when you use "Highest Compression". I was expecting them to be the same, but they are significantly different, and it is quite a visible difference as well.

Learned something new last night, for sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom