Nikon Capture NX 2.2.0 update available for d/l in Europe

No, as that page says, it has suppression of Lateral chromatic aberration (for supported lenses) - in other words a non-linear rescaling of the red and blue channels relative to green - plus a secondary suppression of highly coloured edges in any image (which may or may not be due to CA).

In that its like most other raw converters, which have had reduction of lateral CA for some time.

that page also states that its lateral CA which is reduced. In this case its a simple linear scaling controlled by a sider, rather than a nonlinear, lens-specific scaling.

I assume, since CaptureNX applies longitudinal CA reduction for all lenses, even non-CPU ones where the exif does not record what lens was used, that it is applying simple linear scaling also.

The big change in thus update of CaptureNX is that it now also allows axial (longitudinal) CA to be reduced.

OK, now that I'm home and the family are asleep, it seems to run batch processing faster than before on my Dual G5 running Leopard.

The save part has speeded up noticeably. First time I saved after installing was slow but subsequent saves have been more zippy. I guess it was doing something in the background that first time.

Also opening files seems a bit faster.

Both of these will make a difference with batching.

...The big change in thus update of CaptureNX is that it now also allows axial (longitudinal) CA to be reduced.

Are they actually doing something "new and different?" Or are they applying some of the same techniques the aforementioned packages use to reduce purple fringing? While those packages do correct lateral CA, they seem to claim and demonstrate reducing the effects of axial CA (purple fringing examples).

Or is what Nikon doing in NX something different than what anyone's attempted in the past?

Are they actually doing something "new and different?" Or are they applying some of the same techniques the aforementioned packages use to reduce purple fringing? While those packages do correct lateral CA, they seem to claim and demonstrate reducing the effects of axial CA (purple fringing examples).

Or is what Nikon doing in NX something different than what anyone's attempted in the past?

Good question. What the other packages seem to do is look for bright colours within a certain radius of a high-contrast transition and desaturate. That may be useful, and is more convenient than doing it by hand with masks or a brush, but isn't really correcting axial CA and will do nothing for disturbing deep greens and pinks in lower-contrast, out of focus areas.

As to whether Nikon is doing something new and different, its too early to tell by experiment, and they provide little documentation. I had a look at some samples from my Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 (non-ED) and saw fairly modest improvements.

Regarding CA - the way I understood it (in 2.1) the CA was Automatic and either on or off.

I left mine on and I thought that it did a pretty good job.

My question is - "Do I now have to adjust it every time - every image"?

I know about batching, but I didn't have to do that with 2.1.

DaveG

Latest threads

Top Bottom