Nikon Capture NX2.4.2

with every release since 2.3.1 CNX2 becomes more stable and faster.
When CNX3 will be released, the pictures will be ready before you shot them :))

saludos redondos
tom
I really like the color Blue, but as much as I like that color, I will not hold my breath for the realease of CNX3 :eek:

AFAIK there have been no rumors nor movement on new development, just additions of new cameras. Have you hear otherwise?

Who would produce it, now that Nik is gone?
Nikon would have to start over, with a new development group - assuming Nikon had any interest in doing so.

There is one ray of hope, however: Adobe's recent announcement that Photoshop will now be available only as as an online application via a costly subscription. They're focusing on 'professional' users and corporations who need PS and have to pay whatever Adobe wants, and abandoning the independent and 'hobby' users, who are left with just Lightrooom and Elements. This creates an opportunity. I don't expect Nikon to exploit it, but someone else might.

I stick with NX2 mainly because of the Control Points and the curve adjustment tools. AFIK there is nothing comparable in Elements.

Which Nik plug-in adds Control Points to Elements?

I see Google now offers all the Nik plug-ins for $150. But none of the one-line descriptions of these plug-ins mention control points.

[UPDATE] Eh, never mind, I see it's Viveza. Sounds cool and $150 isn't really out of line.

Which Nik plug-in adds Control Points to Elements?

I see Google now offers all the Nik plug-ins for $150. But none of the one-line descriptions of these plug-ins mention control points.

[UPDATE] Eh, never mind, I see it's Viveza. Sounds cool and $150 isn't really out of line.
Viveza is quite cool. You don't get exactly the same as in NX2, but very close. Not surprising, since NIK was responsible for both :biggrin:

I have not tried this in Elements, as I don't own elements, but I do use it in CS and it works quite nicely. The other NIK products also have Control Points in them, which makes dealing with the filters and such quite nice as well, without the need to do any complex masking operations.

Real Name
Randy
with every release since 2.3.1 CNX2 becomes more stable and faster.
When CNX3 will be released, the pictures will be ready before you shot them :))

saludos redondos
tom
you are joking I assume.....even on win7 the pgm is a dog
on my new desktop i7 with 16gb it is certainly faster than before but notiecably slower than any other app, even pigs like Lotus Notes are faster:smile:

you are joking I assume.....even on win7 the pgm is a dog
on my new desktop i7 with 16gb it is certainly faster than before but notiecably slower than any other app, even pigs like Lotus Notes are faster:smile:
Well, on my i7 desktop with 16gb of ram the only thing that NX2 is slower at than LR or CS5(6) is batch processing. Other than that everything else runs quite nicely.

I would never be one to bring up "perception" issues .... :wink::wink::tongue:

One thing I have seen, however, is that some hardware combinations seem to have more issues, although I have not been able to pinpoint them. Case in point, a friend of mine has a Dell i7 desktop where NX2 has performance issues. We have set him up the same as mine, for cache/files/etc, but performance is just not the same. Both running Win7 as well. Very strange, and tough to figure out where the problem lies.

Real Name
Randy
Well, on my i7 desktop with 16gb of ram the only thing that NX2 is slower at than LR or CS5(6) is batch processing. Other than that everything else runs quite nicely.

I would never be one to bring up "perception" issues .... :wink::wink::tongue:

One thing I have seen, however, is that some hardware combinations seem to have more issues, although I have not been able to pinpoint them. Case in point, a friend of mine has a Dell i7 desktop where NX2 has performance issues. We have set him up the same as mine, for cache/files/etc, but performance is just not the same. Both running Win7 as well. Very strange, and tough to figure out where the problem lies.
my desktop is a Dell so maybe that's it:smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Elements is essentially an 8 Bit editing software. For instance, no Layer adjustments in 16 Bit.

In NX2 the CC Points work in 16 Bit.

Don't expect the same result?

DG

Besides, with NX, Control Points work on RAW data while with wannabes, it works on a Tiff file. This allows you all the flexibility that working on RAW files has to offer when using NX.

I had a nasty shock with Aperture a while back once I realised I couldn't edit my Viveza control point later.

Using Viveza on any of the wannabes is nowhere near the same as using a control point in NX

I much prefer color effex 3 in Capture nx over color effex 4 in PS5. They run a lot smoother in Capture NX, hand in glove....
Capture NX seems to work quick enough on my set up, sometimes quicker than LR sometimes slower. Generally PS works the best.

Dayo, Jim and David, I totally agree with all 3 of you. Which is why it is so sad to see NX2 going nowhere. The closest you can get these days is Smart Objects in Photoshop, and as has been noted, this is still not on the RAW data directly, I believe, since it has been processed with ACR at some point. I wonder how different that really is? Without any doubt you do lose the ability to turn on/off any specific edit step, which I really do prefer in NX2.

Unfortunately I really like some of the new filters in Color Efex 4, so I lose the seamless editing in NX2 regardless.

If you're looking to use & start various plug-inns from within CNX2, I use this great (small) program developed by a fellow Aussie named David Duncan which allows you to open any standalone plugin (Nik, Topaz etc) from within CNX2.

I just tried to find a direct link to where it can be downloaded, but couldn't find one.
But did find a download over at the Nikonians site and an explanation on how to install and work it...

Link to Nikonians Download...

Or you could try and email the developer ( [email protected] ).

And one of the reasons I really like CNX2 is that it recognises what my "Picture Control" setting were in the camera.
I can also create custom curves in CNX2 and load them straight into the camera and get what I'm looking for quickly...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom