Nikon Capture & TIFF

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dkapp, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I was playing w/ the different save as options of NC tonight. My workflow is usually to jpg, and tiff depending on the designated output.

I've always saved as a compressed TIFF which gives me a file about 30mb. I always thought...wow, I'd had to see uncompressed. Tonight I finally did & it was 7-8mb SMALLER?

Any idea why that is? I always thought compressed was supposed to make a smaller file.

Dave

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I have been saving my NC results as TIFFs recently (after seeing good results here and elsewhere). I'm shooting with a D2H, and my files (TIFFs) are around 12MB. I haven't changed any settings in NC, so I don't know if that is compressed or not.

Are you shooting a D2H or a D2X?

Frank

3. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'm shooting the D2H. The file size just seems huge to me.

Are you saving 8b or 16bit files?

Dave

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    How do I tell?

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    In the save as box, make sure its expanded where you can see all the options. There will be an option you can check for an 8bit, or 16bit.

You can also open one of you tiffs in adobe PS, then click Image->Mode-> then look to see if 8bit or 16bits/Channel is checked.

I did some more testing. If I save as 8bit, compression seems to work as expected with much smaller file sizes. It's just 16 causing the problems.

Thanks,
    Dave

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

I'm apparently using 8 bit.

Frank

7. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005