Nikon Clout!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, Apr 3, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would like to share an interesting story from this past weekend and see if any of you have had a similar experience.

Two years ago I took my camera to Arizona Bike Week to photograph the motorcycles, bikers, and festivities. I decided to take my little P&S as I didn’t want to worry about hauling around my Nikon. People usually obliged when I took their picture, but often times I could tell they somewhat annoyed by my presence. It was never a real problem, just something I could sense.

Now jump to AZ Bike Week 2007. I decided to bring my D80 as I wanted better images than the P&S could provide. I had a black camera strap with the usual bright yellow “NIKON” boldly embroidered on both ends. Man did I get a different reception. The Nikon gets respect. I could tell that many people immediately assumed I was a professional taking pictures for one of the biker publications. I didn’t do anything to perpetuate this assumption, other than carry a Nikon. When girls dancing to the music saw me they immediately became much more animated. Guys would hold up their beers and ham it up for the camera. Couples would kiss, and smile, and show off their funny T-shirts. When the band saw me approach the stage they all turned toward the camera and really started “putting on a show” for the benefit of the lens! There are many more examples, but you get the idea.

I think it’s pretty cool that a camera carries that much clout!

haze

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  2. Change the strap to Pentax, Canon or any other and you would probably still get the same reaction. People will assume that because you have a big (And probably expensive camera) That you are more than some tourist passing through. I even notice myself thinking along those lines, Its harder to take someone seriously if they are using what appears to be inferior or not ideal equipment.

IF you saw someone with a S3 IS shooting sports pics for example, you wouldn't assume they would be selling them, or really that into photography. Where give the same person a 70-300mm lens on even a cheap film body and all of a sudden they seem more professional. (Though the cost might be the same)

People always say marketing is 80% of being a photographer, And part of that is selling yourself. Image goes into that a lot, just like all other forms of "art".
    Shoot a wedding with 2 camera's instead of one and all of a sudden you are respected twice as much, Have a foot long Heavy lens for sports and you will get more respect. Stuff like that doesn't change anything about you yourself, Your skill level doesn't change, but people assume a lot. And once they make that first judgement its tough to change it.
    Heres the funniest one to me, Charge more money and people will assume you are better than someone charging less. Its sad how true this one is, Often it pays to overestimate when quoting prices and work down from there.

3. I was photographing my young daughter's ice skating show rehearsal and had my D80 with 70-200VR on a monopod. 99% of the time, when someone needed to walk in front of me (I was in the seats closest to the ice), they would stop to make sure they didn't get in the way of my shooting. The director of the program even came up to me and thanked me for coming - she thought that I was from the local paper!

4. I think people are "wowed" by any camera gear that's of noticeable size because they know so little about it. I shot some softball games one day with the 400 2.8 and several players wanted to know if my video would be on the local news.

5. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

I´m that Rambo kind off type so I´m not worry!

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I was at a club concert a few years ago with my Oly E-10 DSLR and battery grip...I was taking pics of The Chairman of the Board, and some guy comes up and asks who I'm with. I said 'I'm with my wife', 'No' says the guy 'which magazine do you shoot for?'.

I explained that I'm just an amateur, but it is funny the responses you get from people when you have a 'big pro' looking camera.

7. Oh how well I can relate to this one! If people only knew just how "amateur" I am! LOL! If I go anywhere with my nikon and I have one of my "long" lenses on it, I get all kinds of notice! Kinda fun when ya think about it!

8. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    I use to hit some really hard core biker parties with my nikon and some nice glass, I got the same reaction. I made a lot of good friends just because the next time I went to a swap meet or hog cooking I would pass out 8x10s of people I shot at the same event last year. Today I can set up a 800mm on the side of the road to shoot a hawk or ground hog and it won`t be long someone will pull over to check out the glass. Yup, NIKON has clout.

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The only time I caught grief for shooting was in January 207 at the Secret Garden of Siegfried and Roy in Las Vegas. I was shooting with Canon XH-A1 high def pro video. I was also carrying D2X + 70-200+SB-800.

An official lady wearing Mirage I.D. walked up and began to chew me out for arriving early, and beginning to shoot before I was accompanied by official staff. I asked what she meant, and she said I must stop and wait for the rest of the film crew! This distraction made me miss the best action shot of the day. I finally convinced her I was an amateur and was not affiliated with a film crew! Even after that, she stood at a distance and kept an eye on what I was "filming!"

A film crew really did show up in an hour - and appeared to shoot a commercial.

10. When I was in Florence, Italy last year I was attempting to photograph the statue David with my D2H. They were on my like glue and would not let me take a photograph. I noticed some other people with P&S cameras that were able to get off some shots. I finally sat on the bench and put my camere in my lap and waited patiently. The moment I tipped the camera upward they were one me and told me that if I tried to take a picture one more time they would kick me out.

You see it works both ways.

11. I've noticed this too. I probably don't know any more about photography than the Bozo next to me with a disposable camera, but people always assume I do - as long as I'm holding my camera. Just last week I was shooting a couple baseball games. I kept turning to look at the crowd in the stands and noticed that they were all looking at me. I had my D200, 300 2.8 and a monopod. Apparently they thought I was some kind of pro. It was all I could do to keep from laughing. The only good thing about carrying that kind of equipment around is that the people who think you're working for a publication will usually get out of your way quicker than if you're holding a P&S.

12. LisaR

LisaR Guest

I'm rolling here ..... and have to agree with everyone else. Sometimes it helps to have that big Nikon and other times, people won't leave you alone. A few weeks ago, I had the 70-300 with the lens hood on fully extended ... I was trying to work my way to the front of a group of people to get a good shot and someone noticed and said ..... Everyone step back and let her to the front. I know what Moses felt like when he parted the Red Sea! :biggrin: Honestly, if it said Fisher Price on the strap, they would still let you through (or that is they way it has worked for me)!

13. Last time I took my Nikon to Morro Bay, we were stopped constantly by other tourists who wanted me to use their camera to take a picture of their party with Morro rock in the background. I presume they just picked me because they assumed I knew what I was doing. It took us a lot longer to get around, but we had a great time and met a lot of nice people.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm often asked on whale watch boats if I work for National Geographic. I've had Nikon Pro cameras since 1989 and usually wear a photo vest. I used to get into more trouble in my 4x5 days, I had one woman at a historic village who wouldn't leave me alone. I need time to concentrate for LF, I politely excused myself, but she wouldn't take the hint.
    Then, in a small town in AZ, there was a nut-case who thought I was with 60 Minutes doing the expose on local crooked politicians that she had written them about. Tried to explain that 60 Minutes shoots video, but she wasn't buying into that either.

15. pjwarneka

pjwarneka

Oct 30, 2006
    It is funny when you carry 2 bodies on your shoulders - people start to move for you..... to a point.

P

16. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Welcome to my life...I'm a TV photojournalist full time. Whenever I shoot a crowd for whatever event everyone hams it up. The problem is I'm there to document the happenings, not cause them. I have gotten to do some really cool things with that $35K camera on my shoulder too.