Nikon CLS, I guess I'm in ...

So I’ve made my choice – CLS.

Before Christmas I’d ordered a Yongnuo speedlight to supplement my SB-600. I figured I’d get some wireless triggers, and start down the strobist path. At about that time, I discovered that my fairly new-to-me D90 could command my SB-600…With my D50, I used my SB-600 on a bracket with a sc-17 I shortened (I also have a couple other SC-17s on the theory you can’t have too many)

Anyway, the Yongnuo took forever to get here, and in the meantime I picked up another SB-600 , reconditioned and 10% off from the Nikon outlet. I also picked up the smith-victor stands and umbrellas kit that Wayne recommends. (Thanks Wayne) – this was in addition to an ebay stand and umbrella I had already.

I just bought another SB-600 – I now have 3. I’m completely sold on the CLS system – it is just too easy for me.

Right now I’m waiting on the CLS video “Nikon School presents A Hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting” and looking for an SU-800 for the right price………

I also recommend Syl Arena's book "Speedliter's Handbook". It is written around the Canon system, but 80% is applicable to any type of flash. Best treatise on off-camera flash period.

My frustrations with CLS only come from distances. Shooting things like weddings and counting on consistent flash control when you need it and from a little more distance from the camera for ME dictated Pocket Wizards. It's a great benefit of the Nikon flash system though, and for the right purposes it's actually quite ingenious!

Post up some samples when you can.

You're going my route... Nikon CLS will work even better with a better commander pulse generator than the built-in. I'd recommend a SB-900 or SB-700 rather than the SU-800. While some would note that using a flash unit as an-camera commander is a waste, I find the ability to point the head in any direction (which the SU-800 doesn't do) and the flexibility to combine on-camera flash (preferably bounced) with off-camera slaves a big plus.

What YN did you get? I just added a post with links to suggestions on how to combine the YN-560 (I have 2) with Nikon CLS/AWL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Works even better with a Pocketwizard TT1 and AC3 controller.

Can you confirm whether with the TT5/TT1 system one can command all remotes from the commander? IOW, do the PW TT1/TT5s send out the CLS commands/settings to the remotes? I've been eyeing these since they came out, but I can't find out for sure if they provide me the equivalent of AWL over a radio channel.

EDIT: I just saw the PW AC3 controller: only 6 stops though... seems limiting -- 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 is 6 stops, whereas I can go down to 1/128 with Nikon CLS (rarely use it, though).

CLS and TT1/TT5

Can you confirm whether with the TT5/TT1 system one can command all remotes from the commander? IOW, do the PW TT1/TT5s send out the CLS commands/settings to the remotes? I've been eyeing these since they came out, but I can't find out for sure if they provide me the equivalent of AWL over a radio channel.

Yes, with the TT1/TT5 (I have the TT5) you can command the remotes like whn using CLS

Only difference is that you leave the remotes in normal TTL/M/A setting, but not in remote/slave function (which you would do with CLS)

The TT5 will send the settings set on the Master (SB800/SB900/SU800/AC3) to the remotes as chosen by yourself

Of course the 'basic' CLS is much cheaper then in combination with the TT1/TT5 (you will need one unit for the master, and one for each remote, so you can make the mathemathics) but reach and reliablility especially outside will much improve

I'm not sure what you mean with AWL

I just got back from a photo workshop run by Moose Peterson and RC Concepcion of the Kelby gang was there as well. They had a couple of the Pocketwizard TT1 and AC3 controller sets, and while they seemed to work fairly well, there are still a few bugs in the system (which is inevitable, of course). For example, the system wouldn't work with the D3x when the camera was set to shoot high-speed sync 14-bit RAW at 1/350 and above. (Can't remember if it was compressed or not.) Just wouldn't work.

Another friend of mine who was at the workshop and San Jose Flash Bus workshop said that Joe McNally also ran into problems with the system there.

These things are inevitable, of course, but since I don't have an immediate need I'll probably wait until summer or so to get the PWs.

I just got back from a photo workshop run by Moose Peterson and RC Concepcion of the Kelby gang was there as well. They had a couple of the Pocketwizard TT1 and AC3 controller sets, and while they seemed to work fairly well, there are still a few bugs in the system (which is inevitable, of course). For example, the system wouldn't work with the D3x when the camera was set to shoot 14-bit RAW. (Can't remember if it was compressed or not.) Just wouldn't work.

Another friend of mine who was at the workshop and San Jose Flash Bus workshop said that Joe McNally also ran into problems with the system there.

These things are inevitable, of course, but since I don't have an immediate need I'll probably wait until summer or so to get the PWs.

I have a feeling that the D3x/14 bit raw issue was addressed in the (beta) firmware update released a few days ago.

Could be.

Just found a link at Moose's blog for that shoot and the problem was even more esoteric: High-speed sync 14-bit RAW on a D3x. Since this isn't a place that everyone goes to, I can see them missing it until now.

Thanks. One more question: I notice that there are TT5 receivers and transceivers? Which of these does one use for the master vs. the slave?

AWL is the CLS wireless triggering mechanism that one would replace with radio triggering. It's the command/control portion of CLS I was wondering about, and you have confirmed it is supported with TT5s, without an AC3 if one has a Nikon commander to use.

D3X/TT5 Nikon software upgrade

I just got back from a photo workshop run by Moose Peterson and RC Concepcion of the Kelby gang was there as well. They had a couple of the Pocketwizard TT1 and AC3 controller sets, and while they seemed to work fairly well, there are still a few bugs in the system (which is inevitable, of course). For example, the system wouldn't work with the D3x when the camera was set to shoot high-speed sync 14-bit RAW at 1/350 and above. (Can't remember if it was compressed or not.) Just wouldn't work.

There has been a (beta-version) software upgrade which a.o. adresses the D3X/TT5 issues reported

http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/677TT1_TT5_NIKON_ControlTLbetafirmware_2.123.pdf

It also fixes the SB600 full power dump when shooting 'dumb' with the TT5 without a master (SB800/900/SU800/AC3) and in Manual (on the remote SB600's)

The TT5 is both a transmitter and receiver in one, while the TT1 is only a transmitter. So you can use a TT5 both for the master and the slave, but the TT1 only for the master

Also the TT1 is smaller then the TT5,, but the TT5 uses standard AA batteries and has an extra antenna for extended range

You're going my route... Nikon CLS will work even better with a better commander pulse generator than the built-in. I'd recommend a SB-900 or SB-700 rather than the SU-800. While some would note that using a flash unit as an-camera commander is a waste, I find the ability to point the head in any direction (which the SU-800 doesn't do) and the flexibility to combine on-camera flash (preferably bounced) with off-camera slaves a big plus.

What YN did you get? I just added a post with links to suggestions on how to combine the YN-560 (I have 2) with Nikon CLS/AWL.

after viewing the Krist/McNally dvd, I understand why you would recommend SB-900 or 700 over the su-800. .... thanks

I have a yn460. I'll check out your post - thanks again ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom