1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon codecs

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by FosterG, Jul 25, 2008.

1. FosterG

FosterG

Dec 5, 2007
    chicago
  2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I don't get it...what does it do? Allow you to view NEF's in WinExplorer??

3. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Exactly. Which is nice to just quickly browse without opening up NX or another program.

4. Just for the D700 or works on D300 too?

5. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Yes it does. I always update the codec when Nikon releases a new one. Even if I don't have the camera they're adding. Sometimes other fixes get put in.

6. Will give it a try. Thanks for the tip!:biggrin:

7. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    My pleasure Scott.

8. Will this cause the same problems with Photoshop (that is not using ACR) as when I had installed Picture Project?

9. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Now, if it only worked with 64-bit operating systems...

10. anyone try it on 64bit vista?

11. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    What problems did you have when you installed other codec updates?

12. When I first got my D70 I installed Picture Project and after that the Nikon codec was used to open the image in Photoshop instead of ACR. You had to remove the codec from the system to restore the use of ACR for NEF files.

13. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    First off, ditch PP for Transfer and View NX. Nikon didn't discontinue PP because it was a great piece of software! Secondly, these codecs have no bearing on the program you open your files in. These do not replace anything like what you experienced with PP. You are safe to install and still open up without fear of your other programs being affected.

14. That's good to hear Jeff. I don't have PP installed and have ditched Transfer as well as it would crash my PC. I'm using Photo Mechanic and NX2 with a little bit of CS3 in the mix.

I will install the codec and see what happens.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Too bad - another piece of software that will not install on XP 64bit......

16. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    Just to be pedantic about it, a "CODEC" allows translation in both directions. This is not a codec, as it appears that it only decodes (the "DEC" in CODEC).

Boy, I'm such a nerd!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.