Nikon codecs

I don't get it...what does it do? Allow you to view NEF's in WinExplorer??

Exactly. Which is nice to just quickly browse without opening up NX or another program.

Now, if it only worked with 64-bit operating systems...

What problems did you have when you installed other codec updates?

When I first got my D70 I installed Picture Project and after that the Nikon codec was used to open the image in Photoshop instead of ACR. You had to remove the codec from the system to restore the use of ACR for NEF files.

When I first got my D70 I installed Picture Project and after that the Nikon codec was used to open the image in Photoshop instead of ACR. You had to remove the codec from the system to restore the use of ACR for NEF files.

First off, ditch PP for Transfer and View NX. Nikon didn't discontinue PP because it was a great piece of software! Secondly, these codecs have no bearing on the program you open your files in. These do not replace anything like what you experienced with PP. You are safe to install and still open up without fear of your other programs being affected.

That's good to hear Jeff. I don't have PP installed and have ditched Transfer as well as it would crash my PC. I'm using Photo Mechanic and NX2 with a little bit of CS3 in the mix.

I will install the codec and see what happens.

Too bad - another piece of software that will not install on XP 64bit......

Just to be pedantic about it, a "CODEC" allows translation in both directions. This is not a codec, as it appears that it only decodes (the "DEC" in CODEC).

Boy, I'm such a nerd!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom