Nikon Coolpix A

Yes I've used the search function... There is not much to read about the little Coolpix A. I bought a used one a few days ago and I am still figuring out whether I like it or not.

What are your thoughts? Is there anybody using a Coolpix A?

R

Ray Vonn

Fantastic camera by all accounts and a real shame Nikon didn't upgrade it like their other cameras. Getting an APSC sensor in something that size was impressive.

It's my car, yes. I needed a car because of my job and why not buy a cool one. ;)

Well between the A and the X70... I cannot decide. The X70 is faster and nice to handle with that tilting display and the Fuji ui. But the A with it's typical Nikon ui fits me well as well. I don't have software for processing the X70 raw files, so the NEF of the Coolpix A come in quite handy.

The A gives nicer blue and red tones than the Fuji does, I think.
Altogether I'd like a hybrid of both. Fujifilm ui and sensor with Nikon lens and body. I have written a short comparison of both in my blog. In German, though.

Nice image of a nice mini. Yours?

I like the A.
Fit's in a pocket.
Makes a really nice sharp, colorful image.

How do you like it compared to your X70?

I know this is an old post, but I just picked up a really nice one used from B&H today. Gonna compare it with my Sony RX100-IV, and maybe keep the winner. I can already tell I like the Nikon user interface more than the Sony. The Sony makes great images, but it is filled with features I don't use, and still worth some money.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest since I've recently bought the Sony RX100 M5 and also the Sony HV90V -- have to admit that I never even considered looking at what Nikon might have available in their current or recent past Compact or P&S lineup...... As for the Sony making great images and offering a lot of features, I can certainly nod my head in agreement to that! I had the RX100 M3 before this. One important feature for me on any compact or P&S camera is a built-in viewfinder. I'm still fiddling around with settings and trying to see what works best for me in my style of shooting and my usual subjects without having to do any more menu-diving than is necessary. My main purpose for a compact camera is for something very small to easily carry around and/or to take on trips in situations where I just can't have a larger, more feature-filled camera with interchangeable lenses with me. Getting older is no fun! Traveling is also becoming less and less fun, too, especially if traveling by air is involved. At this point I'm still coming to grips with the obvious differences between a compact camera and my mirrorless or DSLR cameras...... and trying to see how I can get the best out of each camera and each shooting situation I'm in.

Last edited:
Real Name
David
The CoolPix A can be a real bargain. I looked at the CoolPix A and Ricoh GR before getting my Fuji X70. The tilt and touch screen where two the main deciding factors for me.

But between the A and GR I think I would have picked the Nikon. The handy macro mode and familiar controls would have made the difference between those two options.

Latest threads

Top Bottom