Nikon Coolpix In Spy Scandal

Well, many of us are aware of the need to properly dispose of used PCs (their hard disks), but cameras probably aren't given a second thought.

A member of Britain's MI6 sold a Nikon Coolpix on eBay and the person who bought it got confidential data....

According to a report in The Sun, names, snaps, fingerprints and suspects' academic records were found in the memory of the digital device.

Alongside them were photos of rocket launchers and missiles that spooks believe Iran is supplying to Osama Bin Laden's henchmen in Iraq.A hand-drawn graphic revealed links between active al-Qaeda cells - with terrorists' names and occupations.

Meanwhile a document marked "top secret" detailed the encrypted computer system used by real-life James Bonds working away from MI6's London HQ.

The story

I shake my head at the absolute stupidity of some of the folks we trust with security. The question "What on earth were you thinking?" comes to mind.

Heck, I empty the camera before taking it in for servicing, let alone selling it on eBay, and I only keep pics on MY cards, not top security secrets.

I find it hard to believe that "James Bond" would be so stupid as to not properly erase the data.

And I thought in real life, it was called MI5...guess I was wrong.

wow and these guys are supposed to be the best?? where do i apply seems they will take anyone these days.

Wow, they took the couples camera AND their computer!!! Sad the UK govt is becoming more of an occupying force in their own nation than a government and the US isn't far behind..

Wow, they took the couples camera AND their computer!!! Sad the UK govt is becoming more of an occupying force in their own nation than a government and the US isn't far behind..

That might have been the case. Or...

Special Branch: Dude, thanks for being upright about this. We owe you one. Unfortunately govt regulation don't allow us to give you a monetary sum to thank you for doing this, as much as we want to.

Dude: It's nothing, once I saw those pictures on my computer screen I wanted to do the right thing

Special Branch: Aah, your computer. We might have to confiscate that as well, and ehm, "compensate" (wink, wink) you for that, it's not your fault after all.

Dude: Compensate? It's a 5yr old POS hardly worth anything and..."

Special Branch: Ok, lets write down: brand new quad head, special video card... Of course we'll let you copy your personal files to a USB hard disk first

Dude: (finally gets it:): Aah. Yes. Did I mention the DVD burner in the computer and the second hard disk?

Special Branch (smiling): NOW where talking... We can go up to a thousand quid, you know....

That's the optimist in me. Being the government chances are that they were just being unreasonable and some poor bloke just lost thousands of his vacation pics.

The way I read it, they (MI6) gave him 1000 pounds for his computer/camera.

"They took away the camera and the family's PC and spent 1,000 pounds replacing them."

I just don't understand how people can reach certain security clearances (obviously he was up there) and be this stupid. Oh well, I wish I bought that camera, I think that would be pretty cool story to tell.

Latest threads

Top Bottom