Nikon COOLPIX-P7800

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I find this model a real missed opportunity for Nikon. It feels so old. Apparently they have not changed the slow processor in it so RAW shots could still be as slow as the previous models a major complaint from reviewers.

If it would have had a 20MP sensor, awesome DR at low ISO and a 24-xx equivalent zoom this would be a great small (but not to small in the hand) second camera to have for a serious enthusiast. Nice real controls on the camera and not in the menus.

Who would choose this instead of a Sony RX100?

Overall Nikon has a most confusing array of P/S cameras, hard to navigate who they are all for.

I find this model a real missed opportunity for Nikon. It feels so old. Apparently they have not changed the slow processor in it so RAW shots could still be as slow as the previous models a major complaint from reviewers.

If it would have had a 20MP sensor, awesome DR at low ISO and a 24-xx equivalent zoom this would be a great small (but not to small in the hand) second camera to have for a serious enthusiast. Nice real controls on the camera and not in the menus.

Who would choose this instead of a Sony RX100?

Overall Nikon has a most confusing array of P/S cameras, hard to navigate who they are all for.

20 MP sensor of size of 1/1.7?? With ISO max of 200?? It isn't RX100, with its 3200 working ISO, but 4x times bigger sensor, 2x times less zoom and brightness.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to be welcome upgrade at least for now; I was interested in the P7700, might as well look at this one. I don't see the point in 20MP for such small sensors...I think the P7800 will do well for Nikon.

Let me repeat myself, gentlemen - increasing the sensor size means increasing size, weight and price of the lens - who will buy that today? Such the camera must stay small.

In my world all they needed to come up with was a firmware upgrade to the allow adjustable focus points when using the FT-1 adapter and I would have been a happy camper --- I wonder how well the A is selling ?

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
A lot of people are buying the Sony RX100, so there is clearly a market for such a camera, but with real controls on it like the 7800 it would be quite appealing I think.

Let me repeat myself, gentlemen - increasing the sensor size means increasing size, weight and price of the lens - who will buy that today? Such the camera must stay small.

I'm interested in it right now, just waiting for some reviews.
A bigger sensor would be a huge bonus, and if the end price was substantially lower than the Fuji x100s it would be huge hit.

A lot of people are buying the Sony RX100, so there is clearly a market for such a camera, but with real controls on it like the 7800 it would be quite appealing I think.

Sure it will be nice, but, again, how big, heavy and expensive will be camera with 28-200, 2-4 lens, sensor of RX 100 size, if I understood you correctly? There is no free lunch, everybody perfectly know... For some, very clear reason, Sony hasn't made such the camera yet. Nikon, with its nice V system, needs to improve sensor, not the size of one, but quality only, and do it ASAP.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
OK I see your point the 28-200 would have to go in favor of a 28-100 or so...

Sure it will be nice, but, again, how big, heavy and expensive will be camera with 28-200, 2-4 lens, sensor of RX 100 size, if I understood you correctly? There is no free lunch, everybody perfectly know... For some, very clear reason, Sony hasn't made such the camera yet. Nikon, with its nice V system, needs to improve sensor, not the size of one, but quality only, and do it ASAP.

West, The camera is on the Nikon.ca site as $549.95 (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). The X100s is something like $1300.

Thanks, I'm going to wait for some reviews on that 100% viewfinder and then for the price to go into the $400 range.
Or maybe even wait a bit longer again, until they put a larger sensor in the P7900 :biggrin:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
The new Sony RX100 II is $748 at B&H, the old RX100 is $598.

See my point, now who would spend an extra $100 or so street price for the 20 MP RX100 compared to the 12 MP P7800??? I would for sure..

West, The camera is on the Nikon.ca site as $549.95 (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). The X100s is something like $1300.

I haven't had the 7700 a year yet and if the only major improvement is the EVF, I'm staying pat. With the 5400 I never used the viewfinder anyways. Articulating LCD, sometimes, is perfect except in bright sun.

Latest threads

Top Bottom