Nikon D1x Purchase(?)

Hi All,

So I may have an opportunity to purchase a D1x, but there are some questions I thought I would like to ask to fellow camera buffs. This is a camera that I use at my "day" job. We have a second D1x as well. I am using the better of the two and this is where my questions come into the conversation. Both cameras have some black or "burned" pixels. Neither camera has a battery or charger. I have one hooked up directly to my computer for energy. There will be no lenses, just the base body, and the box. How much would you pay for this camera. I know it would cost alot to fix the CCD, so I would probably use it as a distant backup. Should I even consider buying it? Right now I am waiting for our CFO to give me his "assesment" of what it costs online, though he has no way of searching for a camera in this type of condition :eek: . Any help would be great!

Thanks-
Little Cub

well a used one in good shape runs at most around $600...I would contact nikon and possibly get a quote from there and subtract the costs.

I would say i would pay $300.

if its just "dead pixels" than it wouldnt be a big deal to me personally to just edit the black pixels to whatever color they should be.

Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks PWPhoto! I never thought of contacting Nikon for a quote, though that makes the most sense. I wouldn't say the camera is in the best shape. It works, but without a battery or charger it's dead in the water.

yah exactly...and the thing is... those cameras on eby come with a charger and battery...

I search all the time...and drool over pro bodies all the time haha.

With all due respect to PWPhoto, a D1x is averaging closer to $800 these days with a wide range of sales between $600 and $1200. If your dead pixels are having a serious impact on your final images I'm afraid you only two choices and you know what they are. A third might be if you could find one that's been completely disabled but has a good sensor you can use as a replacement.

R

Rick Waldroup

Even on ebay, a used, but well cared for D1x is running about 800.00 or more, like Mike said. Sometimes more depending on condition and whatever extras the seller throws in. I own a D1x that I purchased off ebay a year ago this month. I paid 1200.00. However, the guy threw in a cable release, 3 spare batteries for a total of 4 batteries, a 28-105 Nikon zoom (had a couple of slight scratches on the front element, but still perfectly usable), and it had the latest firmware update installed. So I felt pretty good about the purchase and I have not had one problem whatsoever with the camera.

But that was a year ago and I am sure the prices have come down a bit since then. I really enjoy using my D1x. For the kind of stuff I shoot it is a fine camera. If you look on ebay and get lucky, I bet you can find a good condition (not mint) D1x in the 700.00-800.00 range. That's not bad for a really nice pro body. That is still cheaper than a used D2H, which I also own. I love my D2H but my D1x is now my everyday camera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did look on ebay for a D1x to get a feel for what some people would part with one for. I actually found one that started at $100 (though there were still a few hours on it). And that camera came with an extra battery, extra charger and 2 CFcards! Unfortunately, the dead pixels are a pretty major issue. The cameras were bought a while before I started at this job and no one ever took the time to clean or maintain the lenses or keep the covers to protect the CCD and mirror. When I started here the first thing I did was check the camera completely, but the damage was done. So I cleaned them up with my Clean Green on the CCD and made them look alot better. I guess that is why I would want one of these. Well...that and it could be potentially the cheapest D1x I could find as a backup! LOL!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom