Nikon D1x Purchase(?)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Little Cub, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi All,

So I may have an opportunity to purchase a D1x, but there are some questions I thought I would like to ask to fellow camera buffs. This is a camera that I use at my "day" job. We have a second D1x as well. I am using the better of the two and this is where my questions come into the conversation. Both cameras have some black or "burned" pixels. Neither camera has a battery or charger. I have one hooked up directly to my computer for energy. There will be no lenses, just the base body, and the box. How much would you pay for this camera. I know it would cost alot to fix the CCD, so I would probably use it as a distant backup. Should I even consider buying it? Right now I am waiting for our CFO to give me his "assesment" of what it costs online, though he has no way of searching for a camera in this type of condition :eek: . Any help would be great!

Thanks-
    Little Cub

2. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    well a used one in good shape runs at most around $600...I would contact nikon and possibly get a quote from there and subtract the costs.

I would say i would pay $300.

if its just "dead pixels" than it wouldnt be a big deal to me personally to just edit the black pixels to whatever color they should be.

Hope this helps.

3. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Thanks PWPhoto! I never thought of contacting Nikon for a quote, though that makes the most sense. I wouldn't say the camera is in the best shape. It works, but without a battery or charger it's dead in the water.

4. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    yah exactly...and the thing is... those cameras on eby come with a charger and battery...

I search all the time...and drool over pro bodies all the time haha.

5. I was told some dead pixel can be mapped out (i.e. very cheap to fix) and some can't (i.e. need a new CCD).

6. With all due respect to PWPhoto, a D1x is averaging closer to $800 these days with a wide range of sales between $600 and $1200. If your dead pixels are having a serious impact on your final images I'm afraid you only two choices and you know what they are. A third might be if you could find one that's been completely disabled but has a good sensor you can use as a replacement.

7. Even on ebay, a used, but well cared for D1x is running about 800.00 or more, like Mike said. Sometimes more depending on condition and whatever extras the seller throws in. I own a D1x that I purchased off ebay a year ago this month. I paid 1200.00. However, the guy threw in a cable release, 3 spare batteries for a total of 4 batteries, a 28-105 Nikon zoom (had a couple of slight scratches on the front element, but still perfectly usable), and it had the latest firmware update installed. So I felt pretty good about the purchase and I have not had one problem whatsoever with the camera.

But that was a year ago and I am sure the prices have come down a bit since then. I really enjoy using my D1x. For the kind of stuff I shoot it is a fine camera. If you look on ebay and get lucky, I bet you can find a good condition (not mint) D1x in the 700.00-800.00 range. That's not bad for a really nice pro body. That is still cheaper than a used D2H, which I also own. I love my D2H but my D1x is now my everyday camera.

8. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Also, a buffer upgraded one is more expensive than an unbuffered one.

9. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    I did look on ebay for a D1x to get a feel for what some people would part with one for. I actually found one that started at $100 (though there were still a few hours on it). And that camera came with an extra battery, extra charger and 2 CFcards! Unfortunately, the dead pixels are a pretty major issue. The cameras were bought a while before I started at this job and no one ever took the time to clean or maintain the lenses or keep the covers to protect the CCD and mirror. When I started here the first thing I did was check the camera completely, but the damage was done. So I cleaned them up with my Clean Green on the CCD and made them look alot better. I guess that is why I would want one of these. Well...that and it could be potentially the cheapest D1x I could find as a backup! LOL!