Nikon D2X as a second body...

Just curious what others think about this. I've grown to value and appreciate the opnions and experience of the forum members here.

I shoot portraits and weddings. My primary body is a D200 and I love it. For what I do it works wonderfully! I've been using either my D40 or D70 as a second (backup) body when needed and I decided I needed to stray away from those bodies for my professional work. I was looking to pick up a used D300 or even a second D200, when I suddenly had the notion to start looking at used D2X bodies.

I have never owned or shot with a "flagship" Nikon model, no matter what the age. As I looked and looked I got more and more intrigued by the prices of these "once-$5000+" bodies! Anyway I pulled the trigger this morning on a very clean 9+ condition D2X with only 26K on the shutter. I'm aware of these camera's limitations at higher ISO and I'm not real concerned by that right now. I'll not be using this body over ISO200 in most cases, at the most ISO400 so I think that won't be an issue. I got the camera for a great price and I'm pretty excited.

I'd like to know what others think. I may eventually replace the D200 with either a D300 or something else that replaces that line. I have no use for video in a DSLR and I refuse to pay extra for a feature I won't use. For now though, I'm excited to learn the D2X! I'll post pics and progress report when I get it of course!

Scot, I use a D2X as my only camera. I'm primarily a landscape shooter and I also use my camera for my work a the Univ (I'm in natural resource and rural planning-so more landscapes). I've done a few wedding receptions for very close friends, and a couple of engagements and baby showers--again for friends (no $$). I love the solid heft, the image quality, the logic of the controls. I try and stay at ISO 100 as much as I can, but for much of my people shooting (using a flash when I can/have to) I start straying up to 200, 320 or 400. 800 is I have too, but shadows start to degrade.

Welcome to the club!

I think if you like the D200, you'll love the D2X. I expect it will quickly become your first choice.

I have 2 D2x's and use them occaisonaly. The most use comes from my 2 D2h's. For some reason I just seem to pick them up first. I have absolutley no complaints for either series. I started in Digital with a D1x and then to D200's and then D2h's. They will probably be my last bodies bought as I doubt any more pro DX bodies to come from Nikon and I have absolutely no need for movies or FX at all. While the ISO levels of the new bodies might be nice I shot over 60 years with 64ASA and at tops 400ASA film. That's that funny stuff that's no longer made by many companies. Most of the most famous photographers in the world seemed to get by with those speeds for years. The skill level to use them to their fullest capabilities takes a better than average photographer I think. I think digital has created a 'spray and pray' type of photographer. I would venture to say if you take the absolute latest super camera and gave it to a young person and take them to a sports outing and say just press the trigger and let it all hang out they will get one or two totally outstanding pictures. Digital is a wonderful medium and allows for so many wonderful things to be done with a picture. But the picture is still made in the mind of the person taking it and NOT by the camera he uses. Some just have to have the latest and greatest and so be it. If they can afford it go for it there is nothing WRONG with the latest ,it's just not necessary for success.

I love my D2X... When I buy a D3s (hopefully) my X will stay as backup... those pro bodies just can't be beat. Also, the skin tones from the X are fabulous! For portraits with good light, either outdoors or with speedlights, you will love it! Even better is the used prices on these things these days! :smile:

I've been thinking about giving up my backup d70 for a D2X. I'm afraid though it'll make me forget about my D90 and addicted to the big viewfinders and intro intros of the pro bodies. Dont really want to spend even more on this hobby lol.

I've been thinking about giving up my backup d70 for a D2X. I'm afraid though it'll make me forget about my D90 and addicted to the big viewfinders and intro intros of the pro bodies. Dont really want to spend even more on this hobby lol.

There is always that danger. :wink: For me it started when I went from a D100 to a D1h. I've been addicted to pro bodies ever since.

KLRAY, I agree wholeheartedly! I used to shoot alot of Velvia (ISO 50) in the 90's. When I wanted blazing fast speeds I'd push it one or two stops to ISO 100 or 200 and have it processed accordingly.

MParker, what exactly is the advantage of the D2Xs over the D2X? I've read some opinions that it's really essentially nothing more than a firmware upgrade. That doesn't seem right considering the D2Xs bodies still garner a few hundred more bux used.

I actually bought my D90 after my D2X, and for a while, found myself using it more than the X, mainly for anything above ISO 400... but, that X still is such a pleasure to hold and use! :smile:

There is always that danger. :wink: For me it started when I went from a D100 to a D1h. I've been addicted to pro bodies ever since.

The X is the main reason why I am now mostly considering a D3 series rather than a D700 when I finally move to FX this year!!! :eek: Addicting is totally right!

I actually bought my D90 after my D2X, and for a while, found myself using it more than the X, mainly for anything above ISO 400... but, that X still is such a pleasure to hold and use! :smile:

The X is the main reason why I am now mostly considering a D3 series rather than a D700 when I finally move to FX this year!!! :eek: Addicting is totally right!

lol thanks for confirming this disease. I'll try and keep away now...

Scottsvalley My understanding is the only physical improvement is it puts a frame line in the viewfinder for crop mode,all the rest is firmware. The buffer is not physically larger just the firmware alows more in it. May be other actual differences but didn't ever feel like it was worth the money to me.

Scottsvalley My understanding is the only physical improvement is it puts a frame line in the viewfinder for crop mode,all the rest is firmware. The buffer is not physically larger just the firmware alows more in it. May be other actual differences but didn't ever feel like it was worth the money to me.

Thank you. Yeah you can't really find a used D2XS for less than $1,000 but there seem to be more and more D2X bodies going for $700-$800. I picked mine up for $625! I can't see spending almost double that for essentially a firmware update.

Wow, Scott! $625! Nice find! I think it's amazing that one can purchase such a wonderful camera for so little these days, and to think that it used to be worth $K's only a few short years ago!!!

The D2Xs has a slightly better LCD on back. It is a touch brighter, color calibrated at the factory, and the LCD viewing angle is improved to 170 degrees. A process started with the D200 LCDs according Rob Gailbraith. The viewfinder has an automatic viewfinder mask when High Speed Crop is enabled. Other than that, the differences are all pretty much caught up in the D2X with Firmware update 2.0.

I had a D2X and I stupidly sold it to get a Leica M kit. I regret it, the Leicas are not for me.

Just this morning, I was checking ebay for the D2X prices, they are somewhat out of my budget right now, but there is always hope.

Wow, Scott! $625! Nice find! I think it's amazing that one can purchase such a wonderful camera for so little these days, and to think that it used to be worth $K's only a few short years ago!!!

There was another seller who offered to sell his for the same price from Oregon. I went with the one with the lowest shutter count. The way these DSLR bodies drop in price after a few years make me wonder why I ever bought a brand new one! Just think, in about six years you'll probably be able to pick up a D4 for under $800!

MParker, what exactly is the advantage of the D2Xs over the D2X? I've read some opinions that it's really essentially nothing more than a firmware upgrade. That doesn't seem right considering the D2Xs bodies still garner a few hundred more bux used.

Apologies for the late response. Some of the differences are available in a firmware upgrade. This is quoted directly from Thom Hogan who says it as well as I can:

"The D2xs doesn't change much from the D2x. The primary change is that the high-speed crop mode is now easier to see because it uses an LCD overlay to show the crop area rather than four small LED brackets at the corners. More about that when we get to Handling.

Other changes include:
- Changes to the metering that reflect High-Speed Crop when selected.
- An improved EN-EL4a battery (30% more milliamps mean far longer stamina).
- ISO values about 800 can now be selected in 1/3 stop values.
- The maximum continuous burst numbers have improved dramatically, to as many as 60 frames (up from 35).
- AF has been tweaked a bit, with new Lock-On options.
- The color LCD is viewable from a larger angle than before.
- You can store up to three Custom curves.
- You can crop images in the camera, after they've been shot.
A B&W ability has been added.
- Camera settings can be saved to the storage card and restored, allowing swapping of settings between cameras.
- GPS data now appears on image playback, if active. VR status appears, too.
- The D2xs supports Nikon's new Image Authentication software.

Overall, no big changes, but lots of little things that do help getting the most out this camera."

Latest threads

Top Bottom