Nikon D3s Can Survive Getting Wet, Muddy, Frozen, Dropped, and Burned!

I stood next to a press photographer recently while waiting in line for coffee and he had two Canons slung over his shoulder, one with a short tele the other with a long tele. Both were absolutely knackered, covered in dirt and scratches, stickers and black gaffer tape all over the lenses, no lens covers, the straps held together with bits of string and more gaffer tape and they were banging and crashing into each other as he walked away after getting his coffee.
I had my D800 with the 14-24 attached, with a lens cover, in a soft wrap, in a very padded ThinkTank shoulder bag, my hand closely guarding the flap just in case anyone bumped into me. I felt a bit silly.

I stood next to a press photographer recently while waiting in line for coffee and he had two Canons slung over his shoulder, one with a short tele the other with a long tele. Both were absolutely knackered, covered in dirt and scratches, stickers and black gaffer tape all over the lenses, no lens covers, the straps held together with bits of string and more gaffer tape and they were banging and crashing into each other as he walked away after getting his coffee.
I had my D800 with the 14-24 attached, with a lens cover, in a soft wrap, in a very padded ThinkTank shoulder bag, my hand closely guarding the flap just in case anyone bumped into me. I felt a bit silly.

To be fair, its likely that the PJ's equipment was owned by his employer so he'd not be quite as inclined as an owner would be to baby it.
But on the other hand, he schlepps his gear around for many hours every day and in the course of doing so it gets banged around.
Many years ago when the Toronto Star newspaper changed over from manual focus Nikons to autofocus, the old gear was put up for sale by Henry's, a large photography store here in the city.
I saw some of the FM bodies and lenses and was astonished at their condition.
The bodies looked as if they had been sandblasted, as there was very little black paint left on them, and were covered in scratches and dents. And the lens (all primes) had so much play in the focusing rings that they felt like zooms.
I own one lens (a manual focus Nikkor 300 2.8) that belonged to a news service (Canadian Press) and it also looks like it had been through the wars.
Luckily, it was mechanically and optically fine but cosmetically it is a mess.

To be fair, its likely that the PJ's equipment was owned by his employer so he'd not be quite as inclined as an owner would be to baby it.
But on the other hand, he schlepps his gear around for many hours every day and in the course of doing so it gets banged around.
Many years ago when the Toronto Star newspaper changed over from manual focus Nikons to autofocus, the old gear was put up for sale by Henry's, a large photography store here in the city.
I saw some of the FM bodies and lenses and was astonished at their condition.
The bodies looked as if they had been sandblasted, as there was very little black paint left on them, and were covered in scratches and dents. And the lens (all primes) had so much play in the focusing rings that they felt like zooms.
I own one lens (a manual focus Nikkor 300 2.8) that belonged to a news service (Canadian Press) and it also looks like it had been through the wars.
Luckily, it was mechanically and optically fine but cosmetically it is a mess.

My point is that despite looking like archaeological items they still work just fine! We all worry about taking care of our gear not so that it will stay looking nice but so that it will still work as well as it did the day we bought it. On the whole I know I worry too much about that when it is largely unnecessary :wink:

I suspect it may not have worked quite so well if they'd set light to it and then frozen it rather than the reverse :biggrin:

My point is that despite looking like archaeological items they still work just fine! We all worry about taking care of our gear not so that it will stay looking nice but so that it will still work as well as it did the day we bought it. On the whole I know I worry too much about that when it is largely unnecessary :wink:

I don't believe this for even a second.
I've met enough Gearzoids and Posers over the years to know that there are many people who buy photography equipment and then spend far more time fondling, polishing and showing it off than ever shooting with it.
But I do agree that Common Sense, maintenance as required and reasonable care are more than enough to keep one's equipment working.
My stuff, which was almost all used when purchased is dented and dinged but works very well despite not being babied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe this for even a second.
I've met enough Gearzoids and Posers over the years to know that there are many people who buy photography equipment and then spend far more time fondling, polishing and showing it off than ever shooting with it.
But I do agree that Common Sense, maintenance as required and reasonable care are more than enough to keep one's equipment working.
My stuff, which was almost all used when purchased is dented and dinged but works very well despite not being babied.

Fair enough. 'We all' was maybe an exaggeration and there are a few people around here who would prefer to look at a camera on a shelf rather than actually take a photo with it, that is true!

I sometimes freelance for the NY Post. ALL of the staff photog's gear is banged up sooo bad it's NOT funny!! They don't care, it's NOT their's. The newspaper agency owns all the gear. If they break it, they hand it in and get another one.

It's ridiculous how badly they mistreat the cameras and lenses!! If they were paying for ANY of it, you KNOW the gear would be handled with kid gloves!!

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Nikons are known to be tough. I heard that one even survived an atomic blast one time.

i-skT5QQ3-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I sometimes freelance for the NY Post. ALL of the staff photog's gear is banged up sooo bad it's NOT funny!! They don't care, it's NOT their's. The newspaper agency owns all the gear. If they break it, they hand it in and get another one.

It's ridiculous how badly they mistreat the cameras and lenses!! If they were paying for ANY of it, you KNOW the gear would be handled with kid gloves!!

Maybe, maybe not. I know freelancers who own their personal gear. Cameras are a tool and their equipment is pretty banged up. Granted they may be more careful, but there would be wear and tear.

Maybe, maybe not. I know freelancers who own their personal gear. Cameras are a tool and their equipment is pretty banged up. Granted they may be more careful, but there would be wear and tear.

There is always going to be wear and tear, no matter careful or anal anyone is. The staff guys in my area that I know have no regard for the cameras or lenses that they get assigned to them. Some of it can't be helped as you're running to a scene to get as shot.

Also resale value.

I might be one of the few, but resale value never crosses my mind. If I was worried about how my gear looked, some of the shots I get I would never have taken.

Example: while at the ocean, I worry how the salt spray/mist will affect my shot, not the equipment.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
If I win the lottery, I will test this. I'm not so sure that this test was real or fake...

There is not a single “right” way to (mis)treat your equipment. When you're an amateur who shoots simply for fun, treating your equipment like a professional PJ as if it were a wrench or a hammer is not cool or macho, but plain stupid. Your gear represents pure cost and speeding up its demise simply represents flushing money down the drain.

But if your income depends on the pictures you bring home, babying equipment means missing shots. Gear is not cost but working capital and now there's a income vs cost balance; babying equipment might mean it lasts a year longer but if that represents even $2000 in opportunity loss it doesn't make sense.

That doesn't mean that an amateur who stands next to a pro with beaten up equipment should feel silly. Equipment is used in different circumstances and should be treated different as such. What is silly is pretending to be what you're not and acting that way.

Slamming your car sideways into a wall is something that will be shrugged off by a racecar driver as "meh, it happens". As of yet, even here in New Jersey, I have to see anybody driving the family car with that attitude. And yet.. they're both driving cars. It's purpose that defines use, not the equipment.

They better not send it to Nikon as it'll immediately be diagnosed as "Impact Damage" :wink:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom