Nikon D3S for $2937 (I doubt it)

A friend sent me the link below asking about it. He felt that it didn't look right, and I'm quite sure that is the case. I did try to check on this company on resellerratings.com, but nothing came up for them.

usagoodselling.com
NIKON D3S 12.1 MP CMOS DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
$2,937.00
http://www.usagoodselling.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=131_143&products_id=8637

2 things they mention that caught my eye, besides the price, was that the specs say "Optical zoom: 2 x", and at the bottom of the page it says that they have "64 Units in Stock". Of course, since it doesn't have a lens there is no optical zoom, and with the inventory that Nikon pro products are usually maintained (especially after the tsunami in Japan) I have a hard time believing that they have 64 of these in stock.

Does anyone have any further info on this company?

So, if you see something being sold at real good price by this company be aware that it may be too good to be true.

The silly price tells you everything you need to know - obvious scam, and not worth wasting time on researching the company. There are other warning signs, though, like the 'about us' blatantly ripped off from another retailer, and the hotmail address!

Last edited by a moderator:
Offering a D3S, which costs 5.200$ at BH, for 2.937$?
Looks nothing more than a scam to me.

When something looks to good to be true, it mostly is.

I am sure that you have warned your friend already. Even without those silly comments about optical zoom, obviously no place for them there, there is no way a camera that sells for almost double that price can be offered brand new with Nikon warranty for a 50% off discount price.
We all know this but it is worth it to repeat it again. Buy from known, authorized resellers like B&H, Adorama, Calumet and others or buy second hand from forums like our b&s forum. A good, personal communication with the seller for me is important and helps considerably to both parties.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Tell your friend that I have several bridges for sale in the NYC area..............all between $20-100, buy 2 get 1 free, hot deals buddy!!!!!

When a company doesn't even show up on Resellerratings.com you should think "fly by night" operation. When a company wants to sell a $5,400 camera for less than the largest most powerful internet sellers, then you need to think SCAM. When a company wants to sell a new item for much less than dealer cost, you need to run.
People who even think of buying from these people are naive in the extreme or greedy.
If warning bells didn't go off for your friend, then he is ripe for the taking. Since he sent it to you asking, he is probably of normal intelligence.

I saw a $1900 D700. Comes with Battery, strap and a 50mm f1.8D for an extra $100 on Kijiji.

I bet no warranty.

The NY AG's office needs a special department dedicated to investigating and prosecuting scam camera/electronics retailers. They often seem to exist for decades with no real intervention. The internet just gives them more exposure and opportunity to steal. They probably need a department for thieving ripoff moving companies, too...

The Owners/Moderators might consider starting a thread that deals only with these sorts of ads, for the benefit of those who may not be well-versed in the scams and fraudulent advertising that permeates the Internet today.
"Buyer Beware" announcements for the benefit of all when somone spots a scam would be very helpful.
It could also contain links to sites that discuss and grade sellers, as well as any pertinent information that will be of use in combatting these scams.
Really the only way to combat this stuff is by being well informed, and who better to inform the members than other members?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The domain came into existence on 31 May 2011. So rather a recent startup!

In case you want to contact the owner, here he is:
Registrant:
BACHMAN JASON
1910 BENNETT AVE APT 17
DALLAS, TX 75206
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: USAGOODSELLING.COM
Created on: 31-May-11
Expires on: 31-May-12
Last Updated on: 31-May-11

Administrative Contact:
JASON, BACHMAN malloryervaij@hotmail.com
1910 BENNETT AVE APT 17
DALLAS, TX 75206
United States
+1.3134443434

The phone number looks fake. His real name might be Mallory Ervaij based on the email.

I am sure that you have warned your friend already. Even without those silly comments about optical zoom, obviously no place for them there, there is no way a camera that sells for almost double that price can be offered brand new with Nikon warranty for a 50% off discount price.
We all know this but it is worth it to repeat it again. Buy from known, authorized resellers like B&H, Adorama, Calumet and others or buy second hand from forums like our b&s forum. A good, personal communication with the seller for me is important and helps considerably to both parties.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

That is what I always tell anyone who tells me that they found a good deal on an item, stick to dealing with the truly reputable dealers.

The Owners/Moderators might consider starting a thread that deals only with these sorts of ads, for the benefit of those who may not be well-versed in the scams and fraudulent advertising that permeates the Internet today.
"Buyer Beware" announcements for the benefit of all when somone spots a scam would be very helpful.
It could also contain links to sites that discuss and grade sellers, as well as any pertinent information that will be of use in combatting these scams.
Really the only way to combat this stuff is by being well informed, and who better to inform the members than other members?

I don't think that would work, well....it might save a few suckers but mostly it'd just clog up the board. there are already plenty of sites like resellerratings where you can find out info about a vendor whom you're buying from for the first time, then there are google/yahoo/yelp/etc.....all kinds of reviews sites......if that and common sense don't work...........that person deserves whatever they get!

c'mon man!!!, at the very least 'google' the darn place and see what pops up, if you're too lazy to do that............well, get it cuz you asked for it!

some people are born suckers and can't be helped.:cool:

Listings on this website are not an offer to sell goods, rather, they are advertisements to receive offers. Any offer/order for more than 3 units per address, customer or company may be rejected, and all orders are subject to review and acceptance by usagoodselling.com. As all prices are subject to change, your order may not be accepted or we may have to communicate price changes or availability issues to you after you place your order...................................

I don't know if I would call it a scam or a sales ploy.

Full text from website

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom