NIKON D3X due December 2008.

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by diego garcia, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Went to dinner with Nikon this week.

The Nikon D3X is due in December 08.

24mp beasty type thing. Using the same Chipset as the Sony Alpha 900 with some revision, name change. Stands to reason as they have been badge engineering processors for some time.

Could and should be interesting for those who want more MP.

Diego.:)

2. Price indications? £2999 would be my guess...

Not a chance it'll break £3k...

3. What did you have ?

4. I'll go for £3299

5. Well, not sure on that, but I assume better than worse based on the fact the 900 retails at £2k.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Must have been a big table.

I do know that I am number 4 on Allen's waiting list, no matter what it's called, or when it comes.

7. Fair call, the D3 was that when released iirc.

8. Yeah, have friends in decent places.

9. You can get a 5d MKII for about £1800 pre-order, and a Sony A900 for £1650 if you shop around.

Too much of a differential, and you could get another system, and the £1k differential would get a nice lens.

Can't see it being much less than £3k, unless the D3 drops a bit though.

Lets assume we get a D800 with that sensor, August 09 ish then, given the speed a D700 morphed from the D3..?

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, you'll still excuse if I don't put this in the bank. Apple doesn't tell people when stuff is coming, and Nikon hasn't either. Design and production schedules have been tight lipped. So, why would they suddenly release information to anyone including you? Sorry, I don't buy this friends in high places stuff right off.

Fact is, Dec 08 and D3X have both already been thrown around as possibilities. So, no offense, but it would seem you've heard no more than the same rumors all of us have. There, I said it.

Nor is the 24 mpx, or the Sony Alpha derivative sensor discussion new.

11. A D3x would be a competitor to the 1Ds though, which is £5k so I very much doubt it'll be less than £4k at the least.

Remember the 5DMk11 isn't the competition for a D3x

12. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
  13. Indeed - and that's selling at £4500.

The only comparison between a 5D and D3x is going to be on MP (and video assuming the Nikon doesn't have it). Build, AF, handling, dual-cards, insert feature here.

The timing of any leaks could well be done to stop people eyeing the 21MP count of the 5D II/24MP A900.

A high-res Nikon based on the Dx body is never going to be cheap, and I think they'll sell masses of them at £3500 or thereabouts. One thing I do know though, for the pro wedding segment of the market there is a huge amount of dissatisfaction with Canon based on the 1D III debacle, the underwhelming new 50D, the denial of the 5D's AF being cack, the refusal to sort this (along with shutter lag and mirror-blackout) on the MkII, the continuing decline in overall (and specifically lens) QC. A 24MP Nikon will see a further migration to Nikon from Canon.

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Ditto that :rolleyes:

Brilliant :tongue:

15. Cheer up our Kid.

Take it or leave it but dont start ranting.....

16. I had the D3X in my hands actually.

It was lovely.

thanks...

17. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well good for you I guess :wink:

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I don't call that a rant Sir, and I am not a kid. Kids don't have signatures like below-

I simply stated how some of us really felt about believing that Nikon's corporate secrets were laid on the table at dinner. It's no reflection on you, just a matter of well a believe when I see attitude. Maybe this is no more than attempting to promote your "Blog" or 3 other things in your signatures? Well, I can't say that for sure, so I won't.

No harm no foul, just call em' like I see em.

19. 'Our kid' is a north England colloquialism Doug, it's not predicated on the age of the subject.

20. Well, a 24mp sensor based on the A900 sensor seems like the most logical possibility to me. Timing and pricing is always a bit speculative. There have been some extreme movements among the major currencies of the world lately. It seems like high def video is a must for any new DSLR at the D90 point or above. Perhaps a more interesting question is what happens with the D700. Does it get a hi MP count sister, or is it replaced, the later seeming more likely to me. For that matter, will we see a halt to the development of pro quality DX format lenses?

As for the comment on the 50D being a disappointment, I could not agree more. Its seriously overpriced at $1400. I was about to buy one when the err99 bad news broke. That was the last straw causing me to sell my one remaining Canon compatible lens and order a D300.