Nikon D4

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by pforsell, Sep 5, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    What if this rumor holds water? If Nikon has decided to name the high-res pro camera not D3x but D4 instead?

It is just a label given to the camera but would/could induce the idea that Nikon R&D is really churning out new products at an unprecedented pace. Nikon owners would not be very surprised but this naming might rise the interest of the other profesionals.

Even if the camera has (or would have) the same body as the current D3 but different sensor and electronics, the naming might be smart. It is just a few drops of white paint anyway.

I say yes, forget D3x D3z D3s and go for the D4 label :biggrin:

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/09/04/nikon-d4.aspx

2. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    From a product standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to call it a D4. A D4 (in the mind of the consumer) suggests a new iteration of the previous product, and other than the sensor and "omg megapixels" what else could they/would they throw out in such a short time. D3x makes it more palatable (and saves the D4 moniker) as well as makes it easier for current D3 owners to not feel as if they've been "shrifted" (not as if anyone put a gun to their heads).

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I say too soon, one of the guys on the linked site you gave said that site does stuff like this all the time to drive people to their site.

4. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    i think they need to make a camera that is just insane. and it needs to stay on to for at least 5 years, its ridiculous how many products they have pumped out in the last year, the d60 d700 and now the d90!? maybe they should wait and bundle that technology into one ultimate camera

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    The ceiling is infinite. D4/D5 . Bring it on. My Nikkor AIS awaits

Gregory

6. I'd rather have continuous product advancement than slow 5 year updates. We benefit every time something new comes out. I definitely don't want to be stuck with the same technology for 5 years at a time just to save a few bucks.

7. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca

d60, d90 and i'll include the d700 are all consumer/prosumer level. They need to regain momentum in the professional market. They need to compete with canon's 21mp Mark III DS.

8. I think they'll use the 'x' moniker, why waste precious numbers!

9. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

They way Nikon is going these days, a competitive model should be released next week....:rolleyes: 

10. What are you talking about? In 8 months Nikon literally decimated Canon up to the Olympics. To see Nikon with virtually no presence in sports, to a near whopping 50% appearance in Beijing is staggering. Nikon has the new lenses and the solid camera bodies. The final blow to Canon's coffin will be the high end.:cool: 

11. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Nikon is starting to get like Apple, new products every single year. You must buy the new one!!!!

12. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    True, but one must be smart. Depending on what you primarily shoot, will determine the products you decide to buy.

13. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'm sure the poor Nikon marketing staff who's reading this must be banging their head against the wall (or gutting themselves). Twelve to fifteen months ago everyone was like "Canon is running circles around Nikon, where's the new camera, I'm switching to Canon, the Dxxx is getting long in the tooth", etc.
    So, Nikon listened to its gearhead consumers and decided that, yes, it's crazy but clearly the market wants new cameras every three months. And it seems to work.

And now they should go back to the once every three to five year schedule? Dude, make up your mind... :smile:

Keep in mind, it's not like we had four introductions of the same model:
    • The D60 was a "cosmetic" update of the D40x which was a sensor upgrade of the D40
    • The D3 was the long overdue replacement of the D2
    • The D300 was the "scheduled" replacement of the D200
    • The D700 is an entirely new segment and the long awaited answer to the Canon 5D
    The D60 almost seemed like an upgrade for the sake of it - but more likely, the D40x was rushed and the D60 was the model that Nikon had in mind all along (why why why no live view that's still my question about the D60. Is it a CCD issue?).
    All the other models seem like "legit" product introductions to me.

14. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Actually Corel championed that concept. During their IPO they even boasted it as an advantage over other software publishers: "we introduce a new version of all our products every year, a guarantee for steady income".
    That went over really well with my father, head of IT for the company he worked - he immediately ordered a stop on buying Corel software. But that's a different story...

15. You people amaze me! By all means, if you don't want to upgrade then stick with your current camera for 5 years.

For the rest of us, the new upgrades in features, photo quality, user interface, and ergonomics are very welcome.

If Nikon marketing listened to people like you, they would lose 90% of their customers to Canon for the latest and greatest in camera gear!

As Diddlbiker said, most of these upgrades were long overdue. Canon was ahead of Nikon in noise performance and killing us with their full frame cameras that Nikon had no answer for until the D3/D700.

I can tell you now that I can’t wait to see a consumer version of the FX D700 in the build/class of the D90!

16. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    These forums are dangerous places. It's easy to read the latest post on the latest and greatest ...OO and feel like we are missing out. The fact is most of us (me more than anyone) could survive quite nicely with what we got in the bag/on the shelf, right now:redface:.
    The good part is buying a new camera or a new lens isnt really the worst thing in the world. Even though the new lens might be a used Nikkor AIS 50 1.2( thanks dude). Or a new D90. If it makes you happy and help to motivate you get you out and use it creating art than who is anyone to judge?. And sometimes getting that new lens(used Nikkor AIS:biggrin:)  or a new body starts the juices flowing and creativity to be released. My last point is going out and buying new stuff from nikon helps to keep nikon in business and keep the economy going. God knows me buying more Nikkor AIS from cafe members isnt helping Nikon get rich. On the other hand I do say nice things about there gear:wink: . Life is a gift. Have fun with your nikon gear.

Gregory

17. NateD

NateD Guest

I hope they do come out with a new one....then I can get the D3 or D700 cheaper when someone else upgrades:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  18. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    Let's face it. This is no longer the camera business . . . it's the electronics business. In fact, it's the semiconductor business . . . with the appended software problem. Moore's Law, the doubling of capability every couple years, still applies (although somewhat self-fulfilling).

And, as has always been true, the technology is still held back, crippled to a degree, by clunky operating systems.

Look in the mirror box of a D3. Looks like an F4 or F5, doesn't it? The real advances are in semiconductors and software. And the software seems to be the real "clunk" factor.

So, have no expectations that things are going to slow down in this business -- the rate of change will probably stay about the same. And as with the computer business, skipping a generation (or two) is the only rational thing to do --- unless your revenue from the technology supports the expenditure.

As for me, I'm glad to see that kind of advancement. Makes the world go 'round.

19. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    well i wish i had a credit card, id be nikons best customer haha.

20. I'll hang in as long as I can and wait for the D5. By the the full frame lens should settle down in price... hopefully! This is all very cool to watch though. What in the heck will my 3 year old twins have when they hit their 20's. Can't even imagine!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.