Nikon D40 and SU-800

So, I've been shooting with my D40 for a while now. Nothing special, just a standard 18-55 and 55-200 lens. A few months after I got the camera, I picked up an SB-600 which I love.

In an effort to avoid paying for a spendy SB-900, I opted to pick up an SU-800. I should be getting it in about a week. My reasoning? I shoot mostly mountain bike photography, and with the amount of trees and shrubbery around, any on-camera flash has a tendency to light up the rider (yay!) and the surrounding foliage (boo!) requiring an excessive amount of editing or cropping.

My question is, will I need to run an AS-15 on the hot shoe of the D40 to tie it in with a cable to the SU-800 and get it to function properly, or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of the AS-15 altogether?

I'm under the impression that I will not have to us an AS-15, but just had to ask.

Thanks in advance, everyone. :smile:

And here's a slightly overexposed image that I took a few days ago of my buddy. No editing other than cropping. Sync speed at 1/500, flash at 1/16.

DSC_0055.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've used my SU-800 with my girlfriends D40 and it works just as fine as if it was on my D3. You don't need anything else for it to work. Basically plug and play.

I have the D60 and it works just fine, but just so you know the SU800 isnt great for sports photography unless it is in range or you can bounce pretty well with the infrared. I learned the hard way. ended up buying PWs and cant sell the SU800.

Most of my shots are made no more than 30-40 feet from the rider, so I think the SU-800 should work just fine. Most of the people that I've talked to said that the approx. 60-foot range given by Nikon is pretty accurate.

I was thinking the SU-800 also because (as it's been confirmed... Thanks guys!) it's a simple slap it on the hot shoe, set the flash, and fire away situation.

I was looking into the PW's, but because the SB-600 does not have the cable connector, I would need an AS-15 or an SB-800/900 to run the PW setup, right?

Thanks again!

the AS-15 is not needed in this case. I have the same gig, d40 + su800 and sb600.

the AS-15 is not compatible with the SU 800, cause it sits in the hotshoe, then you have nothing to connect the SU-800 to.

As for the pocket wizards, yeah i dunno if they are really compatible with the AS-600?

because yeah there is no PC trigger.

I wouldnt worry about pocket wizards. Ive run my SU-800 to SB 600 outside with no problem, make sure there is line of sight and you can get pretty good range.

I have the D60 and it works just fine, but just so you know the SU800 isnt great for sports photography unless it is in range or you can bounce pretty well with the infrared. I learned the hard way. ended up buying PWs and cant sell the SU800.

another good use for the SU-800 is for focusing in low light. It will use that redline grid instead of that little jenky focusing light that is built in. its less annoying for people to look at and can focus with no light.

then again, the SB 600 does the same. So does the TC-29 cord. lol.

Most of my shots are made no more than 30-40 feet from the rider, so I think the SU-800 should work just fine. Most of the people that I've talked to said that the approx. 60-foot range given by Nikon is pretty accurate.

I was thinking the SU-800 also because (as it's been confirmed... Thanks guys!) it's a simple slap it on the hot shoe, set the flash, and fire away situation.

I was looking into the PW's, but because the SB-600 does not have the cable connector, I would need an AS-15 or an SB-800/900 to run the PW setup, right?

Thanks again!

Yes the range is good, but unless you can bounce the infrared beams or its in plain site and can sync they will not fire. If you plan on having it behind something or low and out of site you need to be able to bounce the infrared. and no you wouldnt need the AS-15 or 800/900 you could go to flash zebra and get a cord that attached the PW and SB600 for about $20 at the most i think they are. Its what i did.

See i shoot alot of snowboarding and when im trying to shoot ill set up a flash under a jump or on the side of it and be standing 30 ft away or so, but id have to have the flash pointing so the SU800 and the flash could sync with the infrared.

http://flashzebra.com/products/0126/index.shtml

thats adapter that i use and it works perfectly. PWs are the way to go. They are the most reliable things you will ever find, but if you have a clear shots between the SU800 and flash, or you can bounce the infrared then the SU800 should work, but otherwise it wont.
PWs are great,

But don't forget about CyberSync, I've heard nothing but great reviews for their stuff

PWs are great,

But don't forget about CyberSync, I've heard nothing but great reviews for their stuff

I dont know about those though Jay, i have heard great things though but PWs are top of the line. The only thing i find dissapointing about the difference in the two, is that cybersyncs/alien bees have 16 channels while the PWs have 4 channels, but i dont find the need for that unless you shooting a competititon or something with lots of photographers all using PWs.

I dont know about those though Jay, i have heard great things though but PWs are top of the line. The only thing i find dissapointing about the difference in the two, is that cybersyncs/alien bees have 16 channels while the PWs have 4 channels, but i dont find the need for that unless you shooting a competititon or something with lots of photographers all using PWs.
http://www.alienbees.com/rft1.html

Alienbees I think is a pretty reputable company, from what I've heard.

I haven't heard anything otherwise, unless anyone else wants to chime in :)

http://www.alienbees.com/rft1.html

Alienbees I think is a pretty reputable company, from what I've heard.

I haven't heard anything otherwise, unless anyone else wants to chime in :)

haha i see that we seem to take over certain threads jay, but anyways yes Alien Bees are quite reputable, they are close to PWs but as far as ive ever heard PWs are top of the line. And personalyl i feel they are so worth the money

The thing I find frustrating about the SU-800 is the line of site. I tried mine outside and had to have the flash pointed in the proper direction for them to fire. I guess if you use CLS, then it is a must have, otherwise I'd go for the pocket wizards.

The thing I find frustrating about the SU-800 is the line of site. I tried mine outside and had to have the flash pointed in the proper direction for them to fire. I guess if you use CLS, then it is a must have, otherwise I'd go for the pocket wizards.

See thats what i was saying. The SU800 runs on infrared waves, so they have to be able to sync, or you have to be able to bounce the infrared in order for it to sync.

You guys have all been super helpful. I guess I have one more question, if you don't mind.

If I decided to go for the PocketWizard setup (say that my SU-800 just doesn't cut it for my purposes), two of these guys (http://flashzebra.com/products/0126/index.shtml) from FlashZebra should help me be able to connect my D40 to a PW, and my SB-600 to a PW, correct?

Thanks everyone.

You guys have all been super helpful. I guess I have one more question, if you don't mind.

If I decided to go for the PocketWizard setup (say that my SU-800 just doesn't cut it for my purposes), two of these guys (http://flashzebra.com/products/0126/index.shtml) from FlashZebra should help me be able to connect my D40 to a PW, and my SB-600 to a PW, correct?

Thanks everyone.

not exactly. You would need that one there to connect to the flash. This here for the camera. Well at least thats what i use and it works perfectly

Hey Charlie,

You've been a great help, man. I'm going to run with the SU-800 and see what happens. I've heard they are hit or miss when there's objects in the way.

If it doesn't work, I'll try to do what you're doing: sell it, pick up the parts that I need from BH, PW, and flash zebra, and see what happens.

Cheers.

Hey Charlie,

You've been a great help, man. I'm going to run with the SU-800 and see what happens. I've heard they are hit or miss when there's objects in the way.

If it doesn't work, I'll try to do what you're doing: sell it, pick up the parts that I need from BH, PW, and flash zebra, and see what happens.

Cheers.

Good luck man. See i went through the same thing when i got my D60. I rushes into the SU800, and it didnt work for what i needed. But it could for you, so good luck with it man.

Guess we'll find out in a week or so. :)

Which PC sync cord did you go with? FlashZebra has a few different options but they all seems to be in extraordinary lengths. I can't imagine I would need any more than a 6"-12" cord to run from the hotshoe adapter to the trigger on the camera, and the adapter for the flash and PW receiver already has a PC cord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom