Nikon D40 or Advanced P&S

Guys,
I got a question here. I have the opportunity to pick up a second D40 from a friend; but....

There is always a but.

I had been looking for an advanced P&S and I found a used on one B&H (Canon S5is). My question is, is the Canon Advanced P&S good?

These are two very different cameras. Before anyone can offer a helpful opinion, you need to tell us what you plan to shoot.

What would you do with another D40? What would you do with a P&S, a used one no less?

Honestly, I don't really see the point of buying either if you already own one D40. The S5 isn't much smaller than your d40, and obvioulsy less of a camera and buying the D40 would give you two of the same camera.

I say save your cash and go for some more expensive glass, or a bigger body to add to your current gear. Just my $.02.

I have the D40 and the Canon G9 (Canon's most advanced P&S) Both cameras fill a niche but IMO the quality of images taken with my D40 are by far better than that of the G9. This goes to the DSLR vs Digital camera. The G9 is my everywhere camera. I can throw it in my computer bag and have it at work or in my pocket whereas the D40 is not as portable. Don’t get me wrong here, the G9 is awesome and takes fantastic pictures but its slower and not a DSLR. If size doesn’t matter, go with the DSLR.

W

wiseman

I had the G9, and upgraded to the D40. Best decision I made. Maybe even better than the decision to go to school.

Though I like to say I got most of my phototraining done on the G9, 12MP is way too much on it's pea-sized sensor. I could never shoot above ISO 400 without being frustrated with the noise. Even though the D40 is only 6mp, I could shoot at ISO800 and still get decent images. I can deal with my pictures not being billboard-size.

Another D40 could mean you don't have to change lenses when you have a second lens .

To me, this convenience would only really be needed if you were shooting in very demanding situations where you had to switch lenses very fast. Other than that, I just don't see it as worth it to buy a second body, when he could just be investing that money into upgrading his current body or buying glass.

Once again, just my $.02..

W

wiseman

I didn't even notice the "second" in the question. You wanna have a second D40?

Get the P&S.

I have a Canon S5 IS and took it to Greece with me last year because I didn't have a DSLR. While it is an 'advanced P&S' that took great pictures during the daylight with great video and 12x zoom, it's almost as big as the D40 and it shouldn't really be used over ISO 200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having 2 D40 bodies, each with a different lens, would be nice... but I think having a P&S and a DSLR together make a good combo. Although probably not the S5IS for the P&S, as it's nearly as big as the D40. I owned a S5IS and it was my exclusive travel camera for a year before I got my D40. Looking back at my S5IS photos now, I SO WISH I had my D40 for those travels. The S5 is just a glorified compact camera that can take filters and lens attachments and such.

When I got into photography, I got a D40 and a Canon SD870IS. When I'm more serious about the pics I'm taking, I'll have my D40 in hand... When I'm just hanging out somewhere and don't want a camera over my shoulder, I'll have the SD870IS in my pocket... plus it takes nice videos.

As someone here already mentioned, the Canon G9 might be a better 2nd camera to have than the S5, as it is smaller and just as capable.

I didn't even notice the "second" in the question. You wanna have a second D40?

Get the P&S.

Thanks for the replies guys and let me clarify what I intended to say.

Yes, I have 1 D40 now. My beloved Sony DSC has gone to greener pastures (it mainly stayed in a small pelican case on my bike and traveled offshore with me). Now that was not the reason for it's demise. My beloved Sony fell victim of the dreaded actuator failure. Yes, this small piece of plastic that is held in place by a metal clip and the price to replace the part is just not justified.

So what the 2nd D40 or the Cannon would do is primarily stay on my bike in the same way in case I want to shoot better pictures. But it's still smaller that I can put in my bag to bring offshore.

Since the original post, I wound up getting the Cannon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom