Nikon D40 review including high ISO tests

N

NewShooter

Nice review David. Nuts, I didn't realize that the focus point couldn't be fixed to the center. That is a seriously missing piece for me as I was getting ready to purchase a D40. I'm glad I read your review first. Not knowing which focus spot will be used seems that it would make each shot a crap shoot. Please correct me if I misunderstood what you reported.

Thanks,
Otto...

Otto,

You can choose which of the 3 AF points will be used.
Nikon simplified things, but not that much. :wink:

N

NewShooter

Thanks Glenn,

Perhaps I misread the following from the review:

I almost always use the centre focus area whatever camera I am using, and my only wish for this camera is that the central area could be locked, which it cannot be. Instead the focus area can be moved using the paddle at the rear of the camera.
If, in fact, the center focus area can be locked, then my hopes for buying the D40 are renewed. I guess I need to download the D40 manual for a read.

Thanks again,
Otto...

Otto,

You can choose which AF area is being used, but I don't believe that you can lock it down.

You do know which focus area is being used though, because the focus area bracket outline is illuminated as you choose it with the "paddle" and when you half-press the shutter release.

N

NewShooter

Otto,

You can choose which AF area is being used, but I don't believe that you can lock it down.

You do know which focus area is being used though, because the focus area bracket outline is illuminated as you choose it with the "paddle" and when you half-press the shutter release.

Hmmm, that is another step before taking a shot. Do you have to "paddle" it to the center for each exposure, or only when you first turn on the camera?

I'm guessing that it can be locked with the D80, but don't know for sure.

Thanks,
Otto...

The chosen AF area does not change shot-to shot, or even after turning off and on the camera. The chosen AF area only changes if you use the paddle to change it.

N

NewShooter

Ok, that is good news.

Thank you again for this information.

Good shooting,
Otto...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom