1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon D40x - to grip or not to grip!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by jmkiang, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Personally I feel like the D40x is too small in my hands. I've handled a D90 and I love the feeling of it!

I'd get a grip more for the feel and to balance out the camera VS extended battery life. I've read many users saying that a grip "ruins" the D40/x lightweight appeal.

Any D40/x users out there that have used a grip? Please chime in!

Been looking at the Targus and Opteka ones.

TIA

Edit: Or this one: link

2. I purchased a Targus battery grip for my D40 when I had it. Because I have big hands, it made it easier to hold the camera. I now have the D200, and beleive me the D40 is still very lite and compact, even with the grip.

3. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Thanks. After reading more reviews, I've ruled out the Opteka grip.

I'm contemplating just buying the Targus grip without extra batteries. This'll help the "feel" aspect but probably not the weight distribution. Hmm.

4. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    I used to have the Opteka on my D40X. http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00PwnZ It indeed added some size and it's must if you have big hands. My only problem is the vertical shutter which I find it useless because it uses ir remote, you have to manually adjust the camera and there's a lag time once you press the shutter (probably 2 full seconds). You might also want to look at the Adorama battery grip. No vertical shutter so it's cheaper.

5. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    ^ I saw the Adorama one but the reviews are so inconsistent that I removed it from my "list".

I don't have large hands but I don't like the feel of my pinky floating around. Haha

For extra batteries, I've read to stay away from the non-OEM batteries as they are very unreliable. True?

6. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    Yes, stay away from third party batteries. I had two and fully charged, the number of shots were too inconsistent. I think for twenty dollars more, it's worth getting the Nikon brands. I ended up selling the third party batteries and got the Nikon.

7. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    For sure. The OE Nikon batteries aren't very expensive either (~$22 for one on eBay).

8. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    If I were you though, forget the grip and save your money on something else. By the time you are done getting both the batteries and the grip, you will find yourself spending > $100. I say save up for the 35mm 1.8 instead.

9. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Haha I'm good with lenses for now. I do this as a hobby so think the 18-200 and 12-24 are good for 95% of my subjects.

10. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I had the Targus grip on my D40X with two Nikon batteries installed. You will get a ton of shots before you need to charge the batteries. The Targus grip fits well and the finish is similar to the finish on the D40X. The vertical shutter release is USELESS! There are a couple of steps (turn on a switch and pull out a sensor) you must do before you can snap the shutter. The lag time feels like an hour. It is useless for anything moving. I guess it would be OK for something sitting still.
    If I were to do it all over again...no, unless Nikon made one that had a WORKING vertical shutter release.

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    If you want a beefier body, $200-300 used buys a D50, or $400-500 buys a used D80. You get a lot more features, and then you also don't have to bother yourself with some flakey aftermarket battery grip, and you get a second DSLR body to boot. Personally I don't like grips. They make the camera way too tall and then they don't fit into my camera bag well. I do like the grip on my F100, though. It's a low profile design that only takes AA batteries and gives the camera a nice amount of extra heft but doesn't overdo it. I wish they still made battery grips like this.

12. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Don't grip the D40, there's a reason why Nikon doesn't make one...

13. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    Steve brought up a good point. With the grip, you have to buy new bags.

14. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Good input guys. I've decided to not grip and maybe pick up a spare battery. I have an external flash so I can pull off 800+ shots before needed to recharge.

Thanks everyone.

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    The D40 is real good on batteries IMO. I think I cna fill a 4gb memory card before I run out of batteries. Shooting JPEG Fine, I haven't been able to run the battery down in a single sitting. I didn't have to charge the battery at all while on my Disneyland vacation.

16. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    I actually ran thru 2 4GB cards on a single charge with some juice left to spare. :biggrin:

17. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    i have mine gripped with the opteka and I like it, but the vertical shutter is useless. Thats not why i got it though. The battery life is amazing.

18. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Do you never charge your battery or something?

19. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    On my latest trip to DC i filled 3 4gb cards in 3 days and still had juice.

20. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    My hand cramped up last night while I was using the 18-200VR lens with one hand. Haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.