Nikon D6 Review from JD

And 10 FPS is not enough, really.
Yeah, because if you're a news stringer and your competition is shooting a 1DXmk3, while better positioned and knocked off 20fps while you only shot 10fps in a moment that only happened in two seconds...your competition captured 40 images while you only captured 20 images. These flagship bodies aren't meant for weekend snappers. These cameras are meant to capture big money shots and/or significant events in news/history or even in outer space.

Yeah, because if you're a news stringer and your competition is shooting a 1DXmk3, while better positioned and knocked off 20fps while you only shot 10fps in a moment that only happened in two seconds...your competition captured 40 images while you only captured 20 images. These flagship bodies aren't meant for weekend snappers. These cameras are meant to capture big money shots and/or significant events in history.
I am sure, if these two cameras did not see the light of day, all these professionals would just call it a day. Another one that has bought into the marketing hype carousel.

I am sure, if these two cameras did not see the light of day, all these professionals would just call it a day. Another one that has bought into the marketing hype carousel.
If you've never shot spots news and had to transmit worldwide within 10-15 minutes of an event happening and you're competing against 10 other stringers, then you have no clue.

It'll be interesting to see how much the perception changes between now and when the body becomes widely available later in the spring. I assume a few of the more prolific users will produce some more real life based reviews in a month or two, and I'll keep ignore Jared Polin based on his style.
Matt Granger had a more level headed piece just now on the D6 specs, but it is just that, cmparison of specs.

My take thus far:
- It is the same old sensor, unless there is actual voodoo done in the software then this is what it is.
- It basically comes off as a D5s, there isn't yet anything that sticks out as revolutionary.
- There may be improvements in auto focus, but again as Matt Granger points out, the focus points are lumped into the center.
- I like the wifi and GPS, wonder how it works in real life.
- I'd like to know if the bottom grip is still plastic in the D6, or back to magnesium alloy.
- Can the USB port be used for charging?
- From reading the spec, is it only one option of card sockets, or does it read as being available in both CFExpress and XQD options? Matt Granger has a good point that the CFexpress won't make any difference for most users.

That's all that popped up thus far. I'm on the fence on this one for now. Nothing yet tells me I need to rush into it, but I might just buy it to deal with GAS.

-A

It'll be interesting to see how much the perception changes between now and when the body becomes widely available later in the spring. I assume a few of the more prolific users will produce some more real life based reviews in a month or two, and I'll keep ignore Jared Polin based on his style.
Matt Granger had a more level headed piece just now on the D6 specs, but it is just that, cmparison of specs.

My take thus far:
- It is the same old sensor, unless there is actual voodoo done in the software then this is what it is.
- It basically comes off as a D5s, there isn't yet anything that sticks out as revolutionary.
- There may be improvements in auto focus, but again as Matt Granger points out, the focus points are lumped into the center.
- I like the wifi and GPS, wonder how it works in real life.
- I'd like to know if the bottom grip is still plastic in the D6, or back to magnesium alloy.
- Can the USB port be used for charging?
- From reading the spec, is it only one option of card sockets, or does it read as being available in both CFExpress and XQD options? Matt Granger has a good point that the CFexpress won't make any difference for most users.

That's all that popped up thus far. I'm on the fence on this one for now. Nothing yet tells me I need to rush into it, but I might just buy it to deal with GAS.

-A
XQD and CFexpress use the same form factor, it should be able to use XQD cards with no issues.

Real Name
Ken St John
I think this was the same guy that tried to tell me my 6D2 was a POS and the images were terrible, out of focus, poor DR, etc. After more than a year and a half his thoughts were -- beyond rubbish!!

If I had the NEED and the $$$$ it would be a very difficult choice between a D6 and a 1Dx3.

Good thing I have neither of those conditions present in my life ...

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom